Advice

flowersgirl

Visit site
Hi everyone

I'm just wondering if anyone has used a product called "Just Chop"? Its a mix of hay and oat straw.

Trying to find out some infor on it as I want to know if it would be suitable to feed to my 31 yr old gelding as a hay replacer. I've e-mailed and just waiting a response but thought I'd try you guys as well :D

Tinsel Trouble

Grantham (please don't judge me! originally from S
Visit site
I used to put a big bucket (3' high green gardening trug) of hifi for our oldies every night- but now Dengie do a veteran alfalfa mix which is designed to be used as a hay replacer. Also we used to feed soaked fibre rings and soaked barley rings and No.2 (?) condition cubes which had been mashed in boiling water- their dinner looked like a foul porridge but at least he could eat it!

flowersgirl

Visit site
Thanks Tinsel Trouble. Which hifi did you use?

I bought him the Dengie Hi Fi Senior but he didn't like it.

I'm using a product called Slobber Mash, which he loves. You have to soak it for about 15 minutes and it looks like a museli. I can't get it in the stable quick enough for him lol but I'm not 100% this would be ok to use as a hay replacer.

I'm trying to find something that I can use as a hay replacer so that he has something to munch on during the evenings and if he has to stay in during the day for any reason. I have to be careful as he's just getting over colic and I'm wondering if it was caused because he's not having something to munch on when he's in the stable. I do give him hay but I've noticed that he's having difficulty chewing this (Dentist booked for next week to have a look at his teeth) and wondering if he's not eating the hay because of the difficulty chewing hence the colic

Tinsel Trouble

Grantham (please don't judge me! originally from S
Visit site
It was the Dengie HiFi in the brown bag, and in winter we would mix it half and half with Dengies alfalfa.

With our oldies they would get to the point where they would chew the hifi into a ball and suck it and spit it out, hence the soaked fibre pellets to replace the fibre they weren't swallowing.

The dentist got to the point that she wouldn't pull the teeth about too much so they got looked at and hooks carefully rasped off but that was it!