Advice

Ashleigh02

Visit site
So me and my horse have our first big show on sunday. We are going to arena uk as we qualified in a show before hand. I qualified in Ridden walk and trot so I have entered us into grassroots Ridden horse and in New combination. I have seen that i can enter on the day for working hunter. We have never competed in a working hunter before but have done a fair bit of showjumping and XC practices which he loves doing. The smallest i can compete in is 60cm which is kind of fine for us as i won a showjumping competition on Saturday which was 65cm but i dont jump much higher. Im not sure whether i should just bite the bullet and do it or should i wait to be able to enter at a local show first? And if anyone has been can you share your experience of competing in Working hunter at a low level like me.

Also separate question when it says walk and trot round with optional canter in individual piece, Do you get marked down for not cantering or given more for cantering?

Carrottom

Visit site
I would say concentrate on the 2 classes you have entered already, but take anything else you would need to do WH just in case when you get there you really want to enter it.
If you are happy to canter I would put it in your individual show, I don't think you should be marked up or down, but it is good practice for the future. If cantering makes you nervous or tense don't do it. Good luck and enjoy!

Ashleigh02

Visit site
I would say concentrate on the 2 classes you have entered already, but take anything else you would need to do WH just in case when you get there you really want to enter it.
If you are happy to canter I would put it in your individual show, I don't think you should be marked up or down, but it is good practice for the future. If cantering makes you nervous or tense don't do it. Good luck and enjoy!
Thank you, it’s not that it makes me nervous. The show that I qualified in was my first ever show so I just decided to do walk and trot so I didn’t have to focus on too many things. I’ll get some practice in and see what feels best whether to walk and trot only or add a canter then. Thank you

Pokitren

Visit site
With your permission, I would like to know more. Let's say two competitors gave the same performance, but one had a canter and the other didn't. Who would get more points?

Carrottom

Visit site
To be certain you would have to check the rules that the competition is run under. However, is it likely that two combinations would give identical performances?