Advise needed, bad behaviour in horse.

MissTyc

Visit site
My local vet does scoping clinics for £80 per horse (treatment not included, obviously, so you then need to decide which treatment route you're taking, cost-wise) ... Could be worth calling around your local vets?

It is ethically and morally very weak to leave your horse in known discomfort and/or sell a known walking vet bill. Unless you declare him with full facts for someone to take on and rescue, essentially. As above, there is likely more than ulcers going on given the timeline.

HopOnTrot

Visit site
My vets are very good at working to a budget if you aren’t insured for a particular condition, they would be my first port of call. Mine is a large referral practice and knowing that asthma is excluded for one pony they costed 2x treatment options for me and sent me a link to buy a child attachment for the inhaler from Amazon for half the price.

Old bird

New User
Visit site
Thankyou to the people who have offered me advice. Much appreciated.
To the people that are slagging me off as a cruel person, I have always afforded my horses vet fees ,I was not short of money , BUT these last 12 months I have lived in hell, I have nothing now. Are you satisfied, does every person asking for help need to give their life story , without you lot jumping to conclusions.

KatieDM

Visit site
I feel so sorry for this horse. Doesn’t seem that you’re prepared to do the necessary investigations for his behaviour/pain. So, why would anybody want to buy him with these issues? It’s unlikely going to end well, were you to pass him on to somebody else (unless they for some reason are looking to take on a project who needs a load of vet treatment…). I’m not sure what the criteria is for horse rescue/rehome centres, is that an option? Failing that, surely it’s best to PTS in this circumstance. It’s not fair on him.

Bellaboo18

Visit site
To the people that are slagging me off as a cruel person, I have always afforded my horses vet fees ,I was not short of money , BUT these last 12 months I have lived in hell, I have nothing now. Are you satisfied, does every person asking for help need to give their life story , without you lot jumping to conclusions.
So sell one of your other horses and use the funds to help the horse in pain. No conclusions to jump to, you've put everything in your OP but it's still cruel to not treat or pass this horse on.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site

You told us you'd left a horse with signs of being in pain for over a year with no investigations, and the advice you wanted was whether it would be possible to sell him without having ulcers, suggested by your vet, treated. You asked if the next owner could commit an insurance fraud to finance treating him, and doubled down on that when told it was fraud. You posted anonymously with an emoji of peeping through your fingers, you knew what you were about to post was going to cause issues, yet you chose to post. This post is very unfair.

I'm really sorry you are in this situation and I assume you can't use anything from selling others to pay for treatment for this one. With his history of likely ulcers, which appear to have been brought on by backing him and asking him to work, the only way you can be sure that he won't be passed from pillar to post in pain in future is to have him PTS, and that might be his best option right now.

I hope your life comes back on track soon.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
If you started this post in the not unreasonable hopes that somebody would PM you with an offer to take him off your hands, please be very careful. A horse I was gifted many years ago was "rehomed" by a well known forum member to another forum member, offering him a home for life as a light hack on permanent loan. She was actually a dodgy dealer making a business out of taking on horses like him and selling them on. She sold the horse as a show jumper weeks later. The original owner saw him on Facebook, contacted the new "owners" by which time he was lame again, and got him back and retired him. When her circumstances changed he came to me for £1 for a barefoot rehab, but he was an unpredictable and not infrequently dangerous ride and as the owner could not offer him a retrirement he was PTS.

He was one of the lucky ones.

The police held an open day near where this woman operated from and I'm told that the queue of people waiting to report her was out the door. No case was ever brought against her because all those people gave up their horses to her willingly.

Last edited:

Goldenstar

Visit site
I am very sad you are in a difficult situation.
The answer is to sell all your horses that are healthy and in a good position to find good homes.
You can also PTS the horse with the issue but selling a horse in the state you describe is very unkind to the horse .

poiuytrewq

Visit site
You can get 14 syringes of gastrogard for £250, obviously you need a prescription from the vets on top of this but you are complaining about having to spend £100's not £1000's. If you can't or wont spend this amount of money on an unwell, in pain horse then you do need a major rethink. All your current horses are at risk of being denied veterinary treatment if they become ill or have an injury so unless you're prepared to get a part time job or can make a significant reduction to your own expenditure then you need to seriously consider selling any horses which don't have issues. You will have the money from the sales and also reduced outgoings to provide proper care for those remaining in your ownership.

In the short term can you get a credit card to help the current horse which needs veterinary attention?
That’s a lot cheaper than I thought it was actually.
I have used it but it was years ago.

Op, I know why people say to trial treat but actually for the cost of a scope isn’t it cheaper to rule in or out for sure?

Melody Grey

Visit site
You can get 14 syringes of gastrogard for £250, obviously you need a prescription from the vets on top of this but you are complaining about having to spend £100's not £1000's. If you can't or wont spend this amount of money on an unwell, in pain horse then you do need a major rethink. All your current horses are at risk of being denied veterinary treatment if they become ill or have an injury so unless you're prepared to get a part time job or can make a significant reduction to your own expenditure then you need to seriously consider selling any horses which don't have issues. You will have the money from the sales and also reduced outgoings to provide proper care for those remaining in your ownership.

In the short term can you get a credit card to help the current horse which needs veterinary attention?
Peptizole is also a possibility and is cheaper than GG if I remember correctly.

More than once I’ve had vets prescribe it towards the end of a course of treatment where GG has been used first.

Landcruiser

Visit site
Did you read my post, I would tell any one that was interested in him his problems, you aren’t living in my shoes at this present moment in time, don’t judge.
So you would expect THEM to commit the fraud by insuring for a known pre existing problem, rather than YOU commit fraud. So that's OK then...