Advise on best treatment of Itchy pony- Lice & Mites!

nikCscott

Visit site
I have an incredibly hairy Section A on loan, gorgeous pony and is doing a fab job at teaching the girls to ride.

OH who is allergic to horses but usually controlled with standard antihistamines, however the reaction he had to this pony was huge and he was really poorly for a week after, doctor thought it was probably because the amount of coat/dust that caused the extreme reaction.

I've googled it and either dander or lice droppings are main causes of allergy.

Pony is very dusty so assumed it was that, but OH (who works abroad) is not due back again until Feb so thought I'd leave pony with his winter woolies until a few weeks prior then clip him and give him a couple of good baths then keep him rugged.

But today whilst holding horses to be shod, I watched him in the field move from object to object scratching all over like a lunatic (explains why my fence posts are wobbling in the wind). Do you think it could be mites? He gets groomed most days but I've not searched through looking for beasties. He doesn't dry well after a rain shower so don't want to actually bath him without clipping as i doubt he'll be dry for a week!

Anyone got any experience with mites or lice? I was planning to clip then insecticide shampoo - is this the best plan of action?

Thank you and a nice brew and biccie for getting this far!

Tinsel Trouble

Grantham (please don't judge me! originally from S
Visit site
yep! best thing to do is clip and then wash over with deosect- you can get it from the Vets or from a SQP (a person who sells wormers) you should also worm with an ivermectin wormer as this will kill anything that sucks his blood!

If he is itchy because his skin in scurfy and under the thick fur- maybe you could get a coat thinner and start to remove some of the thickness from his coat and give him a good groom to get the dandruff and scurf out?

Last edited: