Advise on showing my appaloosa colt please

Shellby27

Visit site
I would love to take my appaloosa colt Alfie to a couple of local shows this year as he has progressed really well with his handling. I have never shown before (although watched 100's!), so a complete novice and would really appreciate some advise.

Firstly he will be 3 in July and he is still entire. Are there any rules regarding age of colts at all? I gather he could still be shown in youngstock classes?

I have a really nice brown leather show bridle with a brass browband. What bit should I use? Can I use the brass horse shoe stallion bits, or would a nice brass snaffle be prefered?

Would he need to be plaited?

What would I need to wear? As he is white with black and brown spots I understand dark trousers would show his colour off better.

Would I also need a showing cane?

He is registered with the appaloosa society as a part bred (dam wasn't registered) although he is a full appaloosa. He has a different name to his passport now so would I need to have this changed (I have previous owners written permission).

Are there any sites that I could get more info from?

I'm not worried about winning, just would like to show him off and gain some experience for us both :)

a4.jpg

This was him last summer.