Dressage AES now actively using PRE's to improve WB breeding and rideability.

shortstuff99

Currently Cambridgeshire! (or where ever I fancy)!
Visit site

tristar

Visit site
do you think they will be ridden differently and will it be appreciated how different they are to warmbloods, trained and ridden with the respect they deserve or just subjected to the same systems?

Roxylola

Visit site
Thats interesting, I've often thought if I had a ton of money I'd work on a breeding programme of iberian crosses for competitive amateurs

shortstuff99

Visit site
do you think they will be ridden differently and will it be appreciated how different they are to warmbloods, trained and ridden with the respect they deserve or just subjected to the same systems?
Well that I can't say, but if a horse can be ridden easily by an amateur it has more chance of a nicer life then one that can only be ridden/handled by a pro but doesn't make it for some reason.

tristar

Visit site
but will they be easier to ride? i doubt it, they are out to breed for comps so they won`t be making docility a priority or using bloodlines with the easiest of personalities

i already breed crosses and they are very brainy, some wb lines are a also nervous, not a direction i want to go in

Lillian_paddington

Visit site
I think it’s really interesting. Not much of a dressage person but when I was viewing BE100/Novice horses I saw many that were in that bracket of too much for an amateur but not talented enough for a pro - so breeding specifically for amateur friendly horses with talent seems like a step forward.

TheMule

Visit site
Iberians generally don’t suffer fools gladly, you should be as sensitive when you ride them (arguably more so) than your standard dressage bred warmblood.
I have had a couple of PRE x warmbloods and they were awesome little horses. The Iberian/ Arab cross is well established and a very useful horse. I currently have a PRE x donkey. I'm not sure the AES would consider her worthy, although given they have pretty much discredited themselves with all gradings I've seen recently, maybe they would ?
I'm a huge fan, but I think there's a lot more to it than simply crossing a hot warmblood mare with an Iberian to get a better temperament.

LEC

Opinions are like bum holes, everyone has one.
www.youtube.com
Well the AES is a the crummiest of crummy stud books, I take this with a pinch of salt. I also don't get this idea that PRE are an easier, more amateur friendly horse. As with everything it all depends on the bloodlines. Far too many people buy flash, rather than a horse with less flash which will train up.

CanteringCarrot

Visit site
Iberians generally don’t suffer fools gladly, you should be as sensitive when you ride them (arguably more so) than your standard dressage bred warmblood.
I have had a couple of PRE x warmbloods and they were awesome little horses. The Iberian/ Arab cross is well established and a very useful horse. I currently have a PRE x donkey. I'm not sure the AES would consider her worthy, although given they have pretty much discredited themselves with all gradings I've seen recently, maybe they would ?
I'm a huge fan, but I think there's a lot more to it than simply crossing a hot warmblood mare with an Iberian to get a better temperament.

This is very true. The Warmblood is typically more tolerant than the Iberian. A trainer in was just telling me about this the other day and I can agree for the most part when I compare my PRE to all of the Warmbloods in the stable.

I'm jealous of your PRE x donkey...although I'm pretty sure mine is also this combination ? (not really, but definitely has his moments)

I have seen a nice PRE x WB here and there. I'm sort of a purist and don't want any WB-blood involved with the PRE. But if it can make a nice horse, I'm somewhat open to it.

TheMule

Visit site
This is very true. The Warmblood is typically more tolerant than the Iberian. A trainer in was just telling me about this the other day and I can agree for the most part when I compare my PRE to all of the Warmbloods in the stable.

I'm jealous of your PRE x donkey...although I'm pretty sure mine is also this combination ? (not really, but definitely has his moments)

I have seen a nice PRE x WB here and there. I'm sort of a purist and don't want any WB-blood involved with the PRE. But if it can make a nice horse, I'm somewhat open to it.

I think the AES would give this trot a 9.5 ?
30300592-255C-4AFA-B530-DB1F0382A3A8.jpeg

LEC

Opinions are like bum holes, everyone has one.
www.youtube.com
I think they should have spoken to my mare before they used PRE blood to improve the rideability of warmbloods for amateurs ???

I had a PRE x WB. He had the worst attributes of every side. He is actually the horse who introduced me to groundwork and having to use other tools to fill the holes as none of the traditional methods worked for him in the slightest. I should be thankful to him as he taught me a lot and completely changed the way I now do things with horses.

TheMule

Visit site
I think they should have spoken to my mare before they used PRE blood to improve the rideability of warmbloods for amateurs ???

I just get the impression that no-one in the AES has ever actually ridden an Iberian horse. They've picked the stereotypes of 'good temperaments and good at collection' and of course most of them do and are, but there's a while world of different types of Iberian horse and they display these qualities when being ridden by masters of the breed, not your average dressage rider used to a dumblood that you can dominate and put into a square box.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
I had a PRE x WB. He had the worst attributes of every side. He is actually the horse who introduced me to groundwork and having to use other tools to fill the holes as none of the traditional methods worked for him in the slightest. I should be thankful to him as he taught me a lot and completely changed the way I now do things with horses.

I'm learning a lot from my mare, too, she sure is hot!

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
I just get the impression that no-one in the AES has ever actually ridden an Iberian horse. They've picked the stereotypes of 'good temperaments and good at collection' and of course most of them do and are, but there's a while world of different types of Iberian horse and they display these qualities when being ridden by masters of the breed, not your average dressage rider used to a dumblood that you can dominate and put into a square box.

You would not put Deza and dominate in the same sentence unless it was "On no account attempt to dominate Deza." ?

AShetlandBitMeOnce

Visit site
I was always under the impression that PRE's and Iberians were more hot, sensitive and particular to ride then warmbloods - and that it took some good riding and a learning curve to get the best out of them. Saying that, I've never ridden one - and that's coming from the proud owner of a Westphalian (which is just a dumbblood from Westphalia right?) :p

tallyho!

Following a strict mediterranean diet...
Visit site

Very sensible post. There's a reason why PRE studs try and stay away from warmbloods... but hey ho... all hail the dressage circus.

shortstuff99

Visit site
I actually have a mare by the PRE mentioned in the article and she is the easiest horse I've had!

I've never really had the issues riding Iberians that everyone seems to mention. A big BUT, I am already classically dressage trained, which is how I ride all of my horses Iberian or not.

SO1

Visit site
Interesting I wonder if they will be a bit hardier than the warmblood so less prone to injury.

I expect the AES studbook is realising the money is with the WAGS and wealthy middle aged women and trying to breed horses that are appealing to this market.