affordable wellies for winter - recommendations please

impresario08

Visit site
Can anyone recommend a decent pair of wellies that come in a size 9, are suitable for winter but are also durable and not too expensive? Mine have a split in them and that dreaded wet and muddy time of year is creeping up...

Moobli

Visit site
I suppose it depends what you mean by not too expensive. I have a pair of Aigles which I bought from amazon and which come with a 2 year guarantee. They were around the £80-£90 mark I think - but well worth every penny imo.

ribbons

Visit site
A few years ago I made the decision to stop buying high priced wellies that failed to deliver on their promises. I moved to Dunlop bog standard farmers wellies, thinking that if they only did one year they were still cheaper.
In winter, if I have anything on my feet at all, its wellies. (Sad I know)
But the point is I wear them a lot.
I found them more comfy, no colder, and extremely hard wearing (coming up to year 3 of current pair)

Tapir

Visit site
If you do want Hunters then M and M have quite a few for cheap. I've bought a pair of neoprene lined ones and a pair of snow boots in the past couple of weeks for £110 for both pairs. Even if they don't last for years and years any more, I don't mind paying £50/£60 for a pair.

teacups

Visit site
My OH has some Grubs Frostline which come in a size 9, and loves them.

Depends what you call affordable, but they were approx £50.

lrw0250

Visit site
Hoggs Field Pro wellies. Good soles and fit even my wide calves! They come in either plain cotton lined or neoprene for winter. I have just the cotton ones and wear wellie liners and have never had a problem with cold feet. If you Google them they are available from quite a few outdoors shops online.

pennyturner

Visit site
Definitely Dunlops. I live (and ride) in mine. Current pair are several years old, half-worn down at the heel, and still water-tight.

Apercrumbie

Visit site
Bog standard Dunlops are still the longest lasting wellies for me - however, they're not the comfiest as they have quite a hard sole. I would recommend getting a good comfy pair of insoles to pad them out.

(also...my computer just autocorrected wellies to willies !!!!! :eek: )

fishy

Visit site
If you have a Decathlon near you I would recommend there's, they are in the hunting section and are neoprene lined so lovely and warm in the winter. They come with a 2 year guarantee but my last ones managed 5 years. Think they are about £50.

sav123

Visit site
Another vote for Dunlop Puraforts. I've got the Terroir Pro boots and was in them all day every day last winter. It's the first time for years that I've had a pair of wellies last til the end of the winter, let alone actually be using the same pair to go into the next winter.

They seem to be a reincarnation of Dunlop's Wildlife boots which I had 20-odd years ago and loved then.

pansymouse

Visit site
I got Dunlop Puraforts last year after looking on a farmers forum for recommendations - they're a great welly for the price but they do come up very big - mens sizing I think so I have to wear them with welly socks.

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
yup definitely chaps sizing, interestingly they are the only wellies I have ever owned that I can wear with thin socks and they don't work their way steadily off the end of my toes!

DD

Visit site
buy cheap farmers wellies, the green ones a size too big and put thick socks underneath. warm and cheap.