After 23 years I said goodbye to my pony today.

Malteaser

Visit site
She was my pony of a lifetime, a true one in a million. We grew up together and shared a whole lot of fun times. She was 35years old, and today I couldn't watch her struggle to get up any longer, so I called the vet and we said goodbye. It was the hardest thing I've had to do. She was a bright as a button, but those legs were becoming weaker. I did what I thought was best for her, even though it broke my heart. I hope she knows I let her go now so we didn't have to go through the trauma of one day, her not being able to get up at all. I loved her, we all did and I hope she knows that. Sleep tight my gorgeous girl, we will miss you everyday xx

Riz

Visit site
You did a brave thing & it was the right thing. I grew up with my old boy too for over 21 years-they leave a massive hole :-(

ozpoz

Visit site
So sorry for your loss. You did the right thing, at the right time, which was brave and kind. x

Peregrine Falcon

Looking forward to drier days
Visit site
So sorry. We lost a 34yo a few weeks ago. Her time had come and the kindest decision was made. Doesn't make it any easier but knowing that they don't have to struggle any more is a comfort. Keep those happy memories close. RIP. X

Firefly9410

Visit site
RIP oldie :( A hard decision for you but necessary to prevent suffering. Horses are sensible and they seem at times to just know things. I am sure wherever she is now your oldie knows you made this decision because you wanted to help her. Hugs to you OP x

Joyous70

Visit site
So sorry for your loss :(

Your horse was very lucky to have you as an owner, you did the right thing for her, be brave and be proud, keep your happy memories close to your heart, its never easy saying goodbye and you will never forget them them, but it does get easier, I promise.

tiggipop

Visit site
so sorry

you were strong and brave enough to do the right thing to ensure your girl did not experience suffering

hugs to you and those left behind

x x

Asha

Visit site
RIP pony, so sorry for you, I can't imagine how your feeling, but try to take comfort in the fact you did the right thing and put your pony first. Best wishes x

wills_91

Visit site
So sorry for your loss. After 23 years I'm sure you know your pony best and no doubt the best decision has been made. It is better a day to early than a day to late. Take care of yourself x

Archangel

Visit site
I'm sorry for your loss, these horses and ponies that go on into their 30s often have such an indomitable spirit, it makes the decision even harder. Your pony had a long and happy life with you and you were there to make sure everything was right for her. Huge hugs.

Malteaser

Visit site
Thank you to everyone for your kind words. I missed her little face this morning, and seeing her made up breakfast was almost to much to bare. I know in my heart I made the right decision and I'm sure the horse I have left will help me get through this. x

Annagain

Visit site
It's pants isn't it, when the best thing for them is the worst thing for you. Be very proud of caring for her so brilliantly that she made it to 35, that's quite an age. It won't help now, but in time, knowing you did the right thing will be a big comfort, I promise. Hugs.

Farcical1

Visit site
Very sorry for your loss, but what a brave and responsible decision.
I'm always watching my 30 year old to make sure she can still get up easily. I think when they start to struggle getting up and down it is definitely time.

3OldPonies

Visit site
Malteaser, a very sad day indeed. I'm sending you big hugs. You must have given her a lovely life for her to reach such a ripe old age.

skint1

Visit site
So sorry for your loss, in time I hope the many happy memories you must have are a comfort to you x

ebonyallen

Visit site
I am so very sorry to read this. We look after and care for our special friends all their lives and the last thing we can do for them is to make sure that they do not suffer. What a lucky pony to have had you for all those years to look after her, and what a wonderful age she got to. My thoughts are with you at this very hard time,, but take comfort from you did your very best for her right till the end Your tears of sorrow will turn to tears of laughter in time when you remember all those wonderful times that you shared together. Good Night and God Bless sweet girl RIP x x

Gingersmum

Visit site
So sorry to hear your sad news. Sounds like you gave your pony a fantastic life and you will have great memories for ever of the times you shared. You are in good company on this forum, we understand your pain x x x

twobearsarthur

Visit site
If the day should come when I'm in pain,
And you know I won't be well again,
Promise you'll do what must be done,
If this is the battle that can't be won.

It'll break your heart, but please be kind,
Don't let your grieving sway your mind.
For this is when you'll let me see
Just how much you do love me.

Together we've had happy years
The future now can hold no fears.
Please don't let me suffer
so When that days comes, please let me go.

For my usual vet please will you send?
But stay with me until the end.
Hold me steady, speak to me
Till my once bright eyes no longer see

In time I hope you'll come to see
It's the last kindness you'll do for me
One more time please stroke my mane
And know that I'll have no more pain.

And don't be sad that it was you
Who decided this was what to do.
We've been such buddies through the years
Don't let me be the cause of tears.