After a bit of advice

bensababy

Visit site
Ok.. i have a 13.1hh 16 year old New Forest Gelding, fantastic nature, great with kids. Just a great all round pony.
Next year i need to look at either full loaning him or basically giving him away to a new home where he can get the attention he deserves. I have had this pony since he was 8 months old and really just want to see him being spoilt.

His only downfall is he has previously had Laminitis and obviously needs a craefully managed diet/grazing etc. He is very easily managed.

My issue is.. i have previously sent him to a loan home with not a good outcome.. basically he came back looking like a rescue pony. So it has made me very reluctant to send him too far away.

Would would you do in my situation? thank you for reading.

golddustsara

Visit site
I would be reluctant to give him away even if it seems like a good home. I think it may attract the wrong sort of buyer. Perhaps advertise him on a reputable loaning site such as the NFED for full loan then after a successful trial period of 6 months sign him over to the loan home for £1 so that money has changed hands.

The only thing you can really do is implement the BHS loan agreement, vet the home throughly and check on him reguarly to make sure the home is suitable. Alternatively you could full loan him from the yard he is currently on so you can monitor the situation more closely.

bensababy

Visit site
I currently have a sharer 3 days a week that cannot contribute alot financially. I need to move out next year so i need the financial side as well as the time taking care of. My area there doesnt seem to be alot of interest.

Erehwemos

Visit site
We had a pony once who we loaned out under similar conditions - she had in the past suffered from lami but was not necessarily prone to it. We stressed the fact that careful management was needed for her to ensure she didnt come down with it again. The people she went to were a family we knew well and trusted, so we were pretty happy with it all. Unfortunately after 2 weeks we discovered they had pretty much starved her for fear of her getting lami, and she too looked like a rescue case
frown.gif
We said at the time we'd never loan a pony out again - it broke our hearts, and tbh she never really recovered, she was put down not too long after
frown.gif

But that said, we do have another pony, a little New Forest, who is now on permanent retirement loan to a family who care for her brilliantly, so I guess it can work. I suppose all you can do is vet potential homes extremely carefully, and ensure you are heavily involved for the first couple of months of loan to make sure he's being cared for ok. Not much else you can do really!

bensababy

Visit site
MIZ_ELZ.. thats exactly what happened to my boy. I was visiting him every weekend, i went on holiday for 2 weeks.. came back and he was a bag of bones... was gutted.

I know there are some good people out there.. its just a case of finding one.

hellybelly6

Visit site
Well the options are loan, sell, keep or PTS.

Once the pony is sold, there is nothing you can do about his future treatment and care.

At least with loan, you can check on him and have him back.

PTS means, he will not be sold on or have the possibility of being badly treated.

Its not an easy decision to make and I would not want to be in that stituation.

I hope you find a solution soon.

bensababy

Visit site
Thank you Highlandponylass. To be honest PTS is something i wouldnt consider.. he has too much life in him and would be a terrible waste.

I just need to put my trust back in people. And hopefully find some good people.

Thank you.

Erehwemos

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
MIZ_ELZ.. thats exactly what happened to my boy. I was visiting him every weekend, i went on holiday for 2 weeks.. came back and he was a bag of bones... was gutted.

I know there are some good people out there.. its just a case of finding one.

[/ QUOTE ]

Absolutely. What about approaching your local Pony Club to see if they know of anyone? That's how we found the lovely people who now have Shandy - sort of a friend of a friend through the PC
smile.gif