After some advice please, Springer Spaniel

TheresaW

www.justgiving.com
Am posting this on behalf of a guy I work with.

He has an 8yo Springer called Dexter, that they've had since a pup. Around 6 weeks ago Dexter had a couple of accidents in the house. Not a pee by the back door as in caught short, he was weeing on the sofa, chair, wherever he happened to be sleeping, and seems totally unaware it is happening. All fine for a few days, then it happened again. He has been to the vets, full bloods taken and a urine sample, all came back clear. He has also had a scan of his bladder, again looked normal. They had to monitor how much water he was drinking over a week, and again seems all within normal range you'd expect. He has since had no problems whatsoever for the last 3 weeks, but then it has happened twice again in the last couple of days.

One other strange thing happened yesterday. Friend was out for the evening, and his wife popped out for an hour or so. When she got home, Dexter had taken the cushion off the chair, and chewed all one corner. Completely out of character. In himself he is well, eating, drinking, going out for his walks etc. Nothing has changed in routine or at home in general.

Any thoughts? Any ideas where to start looking next?

TheresaW

www.justgiving.com
That is my gut feeling too, that it’s something neurological. We had a cat that used to have seizures, never spoiled herself though, but if we hadn’t seen it ourselves, would never have known. She’d would be back to normal within minutes of having one.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
My brown Lab who was epileptic always needed to go outside immediately after a seizure. But she wasn't left in the main house when I was out, so if I needed to clean up when I got back, there was no problem and, of course, I was never sure what had happened.

TheresaW

www.justgiving.com
They’ve taken another urine sample into the vets. This time it is being sent to the lab and being more thoroughly tested instead of just the dip stick the vets did. If he is having some kind of seizure, how would they know unless they actually see it happen?

Thanks for all the replies so far. My friend knows I’ve posted this and is grateful for any advice. Obviously they will be talking to the vet and asking questions when the latest results come back.

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
Is it happening when the owner is there? If not, I wonder if he could pop up a motion activated camera to see if the dog is actually seizing. An 8 year old should be in the prime of his life.

lilly1

Visit site
There are various blood tests they can do. My old dog started becoming incontinent in a similar way. On top of normal bloods she was tested for infections, cushings, addisons and diabetes. All come back clear. We never got to the bottom of it. At this point she was drinking copious amounts of water and unable to keep weight on. It wasn't a happy ending for mine I'm afraid but she was an old lady. The urine samples should show if the urine is concentrated or not and this might through light on it.