Age limit

Xtra

Visit site
Duplicated in here as I posted in vets cause I'm thick
confused.gif

Hi
I have a 16 year old mare who was injured earlier on in the year and is now unlikely to become sound.

Obviously I would get vet out to do appropriate health checks on her but just wondered if there is any point in even considering breeding from here due to age. She has never had a foal before but prior to accident she was extremely fit and healthy and other than lameness from kicks etc has never needed the vet.

She is well bred so not just breeding for the sake of it.

the watcher

Visit site
It can be done, although in my view this is getting on a bit for a first foal. I suppose if you plan to downsize with the foal, rather than producing something bigger, you would be giving her the best chance of successfully delivering - assuming she conceives successfully.

chevs

Visit site
Hi

I have just got my 15year old maiden mare in foal. She has had a very busy competing career and it's only now that i feel that it's time to let her have a baby. She is in great health, and condition.

She took 2nd attempt with AI, and all looks well with "Blob".

If she's still in good health, other than her injury then i would say go for it. I did get my mare scanned before starting on the breeding train to check all was well inside. Least then your aware of her condition internally as it's fairly common for them to have endometriosis which can have effect on concieving.

Good Luck and keep us posted!

CrazyMare

Visit site
I had a 15year old maiden too. My foal is charging happily round her paddock this morning.

Mine concieved first time naturally.