aggressive horses

equestrian7474

Visit site
when I first got my mare she was so sweet and loving, but now she’s slowly starting to get very aggressive. when I try to tack her up she’ll kick and bite me and i’ve lost all confidence with her on the ground. I have no problem with riding her but I have no confidence grooming and tacking her up and just handling her in general.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
She is objecting to something, whether it is the way you handle her, or that she has a pain/discomfort that the tack makes worse. I would get someone else to check that all her tack fits, look particularly at the browband and check that the bit hasn't got any rough bits where she has chewed it. If everything fits properly, ask the 'checker' to watch you tack up and see if they can make any suggestions about the way you do it - do you fasten the girth on the last hole and let her get used to it? If all is well ask your vet to have a look at her, she might have ulcers.

Shay

Visit site
Mares lead the herd. They are programmed to challenge leadership in a way geldings are not. You need to be a good leader for her and it sounds like she has lost respect for you on the ground. Her training is still holding in that she continues to respect a rider - but she doesn't respect you as a leader for her.

The first thing - as PS says - is to rule out pain. Tack fit, back, teeth, ulcers. She is saying she doesn't want to be handled. Your responsibility is to find out why not. If you don't this will progress to ridden behaviour and becomes massively harder to tackle.

HazuraJane

Visit site
Mares lead the herd. They are programmed to challenge leadership in a way geldings are not. You need to be a good leader for her and it sounds like she has lost respect for you on the ground. Her training is still holding in that she continues to respect a rider - but she doesn't respect you as a leader for her.

The first thing - as PS says - is to rule out pain. Tack fit, back, teeth, ulcers. She is saying she doesn't want to be handled. Your responsibility is to find out why not. If you don't this will progress to ridden behaviour and becomes massively harder to tackle.
THIS. In tandem with getting her checked over by professional(s), perhaps try to get her back in the habit of respect for you by walking her in-hand while carrying a dressage whip. Your situation is similar to the one I found myself in around four weeks ago. Circumstances were a bit different (young mare on stall rest after a broken splint, lives next to a very aggressive mare and mine is no shrinking violet, either) I've made it a point to walk her in a way that keeps me as the boss and gives her the chance to show good, respectful behaviour. Our habit is to walk dressage patterns in the court. You'll need to figure out what works for your mare. My mare is coming around, she is behaving more respectfully towards me now. Sorry so long of a reply! :)