agricutural vs equestrian use

L&M

Visit site
Hi All,

We are in a fortunate position to be buying some land - it is a 2 acre field that was part of a farm that is being sold off, and although the current owners have used it in the past for liveries, the land has always been classed as agricultural.

We only plan to use it for grazing, and possibly taking hay off (we have other rented land so not our sole grazing), and have separate stabling/schooling area at the house so won't be needing to build/ride on it.

Our solicitor is asking if we want 'change of use' to equestrian but ideally don't want to add to the costs, or make the sale more complicated, unless of course we have too.

Any advice? Tia x

Last edited:

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
I was told that as long as you don't ride on the field that grazing is an agricultural activity and no change of use is required.

ycbm

Visit site
I got a pretty huge grant on reroofing my traditional stone roof stables building on the basis that horses grazes the field was agricultural, and that was in a National Park, so I don't think you need to worry. The guy was desperate to give us the grant, for some reason, and explained it to me in detail.

FestiveFuzz

Visit site
I could be wrong but I also thought it depended on whether the horses were rugged or not as to whether they could be considered livestock or leisure? Possibly misremembering as it’s been a long day ?

Last edited:

ycbm

Visit site
If you are feeding the horses then they are treated in planning law as leisure horses and you would require change of use to equestrian.

Thats not what I was told Peter. People feed cows and sheep in fields.

All my friends around me and I feed rugged horses in fields defined as parts of farms with DEFRA holding numbers. None of us have ever been challenged in 30 years and the Peak Park are red hot on planning infringements.

Jcborden

New User
Visit site
The rules are somewhat odd... you can legally graze your horses and of course provide water. However, you are not supposed to provide additional feed (i.e. on top off what grows in the field) or ride in the field. I am not sure about rugging... You can also have a mobile field shelter on the land. However, in practice who is going to complain if you were to rug or provide some additional feed - would have to be pretty harsh neighbours

PeterNatt

s68.photobucket.com
ycbm I can assure you that I am correct as I have done it numerous times (agricultural to equestrian) to avoid aggravation in the future or ensure there are no problems if the land is sold on for equestrian use. L & M would be best to get change of use now from agricultural to equestrian and then not have to worry about it. (It also has the advantage of increasing the value of the land)!

L&M

Visit site
ycbm I can assure you that I am correct as I have done it numerous times (agricultural to equestrian) to avoid aggravation in the future or ensure there are no problems if the land is sold on for equestrian use. L & M would be best to get change of use now from agricultural to equestrian and then not have to worry about it. (It also has the advantage of increasing the value of the land)!

I would be very grateful if you could you talk me through the process, either in reply to this thread or through a message.

Thank you

JennBags

HHOSS Wonder Woman
Visit site
I was told by my planning consultant that you needed at least 1.5 acres per horse for it to be agricultural rather than equestrian. Also, that feeding was only allowed in the depths of winter. However if the land has previously been used for horses you should have a precedent and it shouldn't be an issue.

Gift Horse

Visit site
If you decide to go ahead the process is
A planning application made to the local authority for change of use of the land from agricultural to equestrian.
The application fee should be £462 plus £25 planning portal service charge plus whatever your representative charges to do the work (not applicable if you are going to do it your self)
You will need to fill in a form available on the planning Portal and provide a location plan. The council then have 8 weeks to determine the application.

The question whether to bother or not is more complicated without knowing the details, there are lots of factors including the location of the land, the local planning authority, the neighbours, if it’s on a main road.

A 2 acre paddock well kept and appropriately grazed versus a 2 acre grassless paddock with horses stood around a round bale, a storage shed, muck heap and a bowser for water. The latter is more likely to attract complaints and resulting enforcement action. That’s why there are conflicting views its ‘fact and degree’ peoples personal experiences will vary.

The Bouncing Bog Trotter

Visit site
There are stupid caveats that switch you from agri to equine use. See something like this: https://therpp.co.uk/planning-change-agriculture-equestrian-use/

Think shelters have to be moveable/non fixed too.

There are times when I think HHO is an amazing place. Following on from this thread we've contacted the company mentioned above for some pre-purchase advise on a plot we are in the process of buying. They have provided us with some exceptionally pragmatic and valuable advice, and have potential saved us £1,000s. Thanks to Teapot for posting the link and it just goes to show that you need to ask the right questions to the right people.