Agrobs Pre Aplin - help me feed my oldie!

tashcat

Visit site
Feeding a horse seems so simple, yet I always manage to make it super complicated!

I have a 25 year old gelding, he's around 14'2, and breeding is something like native/connemara/part donkey?! :p

He has no complaints (fingers crossed it stays that way) - his joints are good, he's not a bad-doer and he is very happy. He does have RAO (some may know as COPD), but this is unrelated to feeding and so I don't feed anything in particular to help this.

Currently he is on calm and condition - he's been on this for about 2 years and he has the loveliest, shiny coat, he is super happy and tummy etc seems fine. I adjust the amount he has based on the time of year (he can lose condition in the winter), but I've never wanted to stop feeding him it, or switch to Alan and Page's senior based feeds because I am so pleased with the c+c.

I also sprinkle some hi-figh nuts on top as nuts are his absolute favourite and I'm a push over! Plus I use the nuts for training and positive reinforcement so they're handy to have. He also gets a bit of garlic, and salt/electrolytes when its very warm or when worked 'hard'.

Today I picked up a sample of the Agrobs Pre Alpin senior roughage/ chaff - and I sprinkled a bit in his c+c. He seemed to love it, and I was very interested in the completely natural ingredients that imitate the grazing of a wild horse. So here's the question.. should I add it into his feed routine? Am I adding in too much/over doing it? Should I replace it with something? How much should I give?

Cup of tea and biscuit for anyone who can help the fussing mother of a been-there-done-it, eaten-it-all kind of horse :p

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
Frank loves the agrobs, having previously been right fussy for a welsh cob, it is a revelation. I feed the aspero as that is plenty for us (he's 23).
Personally I have used it because I have gone back to straights as I like to know exactly what I am feeding without a whole load of additives so we do aspero, oats and micronised linseed (will always recommend this)+ vits and mins. He gets beet in winter but can't be doing with the faff in summer :p.

Ps garlic is not good for horses :p it is not good for gut bacteria and really has no benefits.

tashcat

Visit site
Frank loves the agrobs, having previously been right fussy for a welsh cob, it is a revelation. I feed the aspero as that is plenty for us (he's 23).
Personally I have used it because I have gone back to straights as I like to know exactly what I am feeding without a whole load of additives so we do aspero, oats and micronised linseed (will always recommend this)+ vits and mins. He gets beet in winter but can't be doing with the faff in summer :p.

Ps garlic is not good for horses :p it is not good for gut bacteria and really has no benefits.

Thanks for the garlic tip, I always thought it was good for repelling flies! Oh well now I have 10kg to find a new use for...! :p

Glad to hear your boy loves it, and that you recommend it! I think I might try it along with the c+c and nuts and see how it goes!

acorn92x

Visit site

This pretty much! A very sensible way to feed - also the way I feed too despite the fact I don't own an oldie yet! I would recommend feeding straights over mixes any day as you know exactly what is in there and it's easier to adjust if the horse needs a pick me up or whether the amount needs toning down if they look a bit porky etc.

BlackRider

Visit site
I used the simple systems red bag grass nuts for my 22yo, with a handful of oats, and he's looking really good.

Pocketr@cket

Visit site
I like grass nuts (simple systems or emerald green), a good chopped grass (SS, thunderbrook, agro) wouldn't touch ready grass or just grass as they are like pine needles and micronised linseed for oldies. I add salt if needed.

As mentioned I don't think garlic has a place in a horses diet but as you said you now have near on a ton bag to shift. Lots of garlic bread in your house.