Ah the ups and downs....

[59668]

Visit site
5yo TB has been going well lately! Had Michael Peace out to help with the napping and wow he is amazing. Basically said he's not being naughty, he's an unsure baby and was so lovely and complimentary of my riding I was buzzing. Said I rode as if he trained me. Still makes me smile.
Have moved yards last weekend and yesterday had the most wonderful lesson. Hacked out with a nanny twice this week and he was on his toes the first time but so chilled the second time.
Really felt like I might be making progress.
Today I thought I'd bite the bullet and go out alone. Brought me right back to earth. As I sort of expected, the napping is full on back, I had to get off twice, but ended out for nearly an hour with some fairly relaxed moments. Sigh. Horses are a great leveller.
Thinking I will at least go down the drive and back before every schooling session, varying if I go out the gates and where I turn. And will continue to hack alone more than with company as I genuinely think it makes no difference to him.
No point to this post other than a big sigh with people that will understand.

poiuytrewq

Visit site
You’ll get there and it will make it all the better that you got through issues in the first place, that probably doesn’t make you feel a whole lot better just now! Look at the positive though, you actually did a really decent hack alone! That’s great, regardless of getting off (which I think is a good thing, it gives them confidence and keeps you safe)
Micheal peace came out to a mare I work with, he’s a lovely guy isn’t he. I was really impressed.

[59668]

Visit site
You’ll get there and it will make it all the better that you got through issues in the first place, that probably doesn’t make you feel a whole lot better just now! Look at the positive though, you actually did a really decent hack alone! That’s great, regardless of getting off (which I think is a good thing, it gives them confidence and keeps you safe)
Micheal peace came out to a mare I work with, he’s a lovely guy isn’t he. I was really impressed.
Thank you. Michael is just brilliant. I wish he did courses and stuff.

ImmyS

Visit site
Can you get on from the ground? My ex racer was an awful napper. The only way I fixed it was to lead her out on hacks, then when she seemed relaxed I would lead her out tacked up on the same route. Then lead her out and get on when very nearly home, then gradually get on earlier and earlier until you leave the yard on board. It is time consuming but this completely fixed her napping and we spent many hours out alone with no issues after that. Good luck! I know how disheartening it can be! Hugs x

[59668]

Visit site
Can you get on from the ground? My ex racer was an awful napper. The only way I fixed it was to lead her out on hacks, then when she seemed relaxed I would lead her out tacked up on the same route. Then lead her out and get on when very nearly home, then gradually get on earlier and earlier until you leave the yard on board. It is time consuming but this completely fixed her napping and we spent many hours out alone with no issues after that. Good luck! I know how disheartening it can be! Hugs x
I can't get on from the ground (he's 16.3 and I'm 5ft3!) But have been getting on from whatever I can find.
I like your idea though.....I might see what "mounting points" I could use to get this to work.

ImmyS

Visit site
I can't get on from the ground (he's 16.3 and I'm 5ft3!) But have been getting on from whatever I can find.
I like your idea though.....I might see what "mounting points" I could use to get this to work.

I wouldn’t be able to do it now ? not very springy any more but when I was 16 I could hop on! May be worth investigating some mounting points to give it a go.

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
I wouldn’t be able to do it now ? not very springy any more but when I was 16 I could hop on! May be worth investigating some mounting points to give it a go.

Logs! When I needed to get on at various points on a hack (I didn't do gates as my back was bad) I had some logs. Bigger than logs, smaller than tree stumps. Big enough to avoid people pinching them.