ahh terrified!

TarantuLove

Visit site
Im riding my horse soon for the first time in nearly a year due to me having an injury and then him having an injury! At first I was ridiculously excited but now my nerves are really setting in - he can be a tricky character to ride! Any words of wisdom?!

millreef

Visit site
Wear all appropriate safety gear and gloves - should give you more confidence. Remember too that they can sense if you're scared so just smile and think of England! Good luck and you'll be great I'm sure.

sherbet

Visit site
Sing to yourself or just talk rubbish I told my girl all the names of the flowers we saw and what I had to buy in tesco any thing to make you breath

Set small goals eg im going to ride from A to C stop and take a deep breath or between a lampost and drain if out hacking

Small steps, then reward your horse with treats after a brillant ride and yourself with a nice cold coke of couse!!

Pebbles

Visit site
Yes I'm a fan of singing to keep you breathing and reassuring for the horse!!
Good luck, bet you will be soooo happy after the first time back aboard :)

Merrymoles

Visit site
Totally agree with the singing - I had a wobbly moment last week and gave the horse 10 minutes of the Archers theme and it did help! Next time I rode him I was fine so look at it as temporary too.

Tinseltoes

Visit site
I know how you feel.I take deep breaths before I get on and try to relax.Its horrible being nervous. Good luck and let me know how you get on!!!

Honey08

Waffled a lot!
Visit site
Ride out with another person on a plod that can babysit you both - no matter how confident you both were before.

I'm recently back on my mare after she had been at stud for a year, and I'd been injured. She was a very bold, confident mare, but was much spookier and more nervous at first.

Enjoy it. It will be wonderful. I was gurning like a good'un!

ps. The alcohol suggestion is a good one. I have coffee with a splash of baileys rather than milk at nervous times!!

Last edited:

Tilda

Visit site
oooh how exciting I had to do exactly the same earlier in the year I'd had months off following an accident and then she'd gone lame. I'm afraid I was a bit too nervous so got YM to ride her first then had a sit for 5 minutes and just a walk round the school, by ride 3 I was cantering around the school (YM had been riding her inbetween) and within 3 weeks jumping! Good luck and just remember to smile its meant to be fun :)

Janah

Visit site
I sing if I'm feeling nervous. Instant obedience and goodness from my boy to shut me up!

I also am just starting again after a year or so off, my hip, not my boy's fault. He is no different than when I rode every day, other than I am taking things very slowly for his sake. I am very, very lucky to have a very sensible boy.

Jane

Apricot

Visit site
Talk or sing!! Really helps! Also a stirrup leather round the neck is good for boosting confidence, even if you don't actually use it!

When my old fat horse was younger he got a nasty injury under his elbow meaning that he couldn't have a girth on for a month or so, so I rode him bareback :eek: He was another tricky character (enjoyed his spinning and bucking) which was slightly terrifying, I have no idea why I thought it was a good idea :D Improved my seat a lot though...