AI- Can someone explain what's involved?

PapaFrita

pilar-larcade.com
PF was covered naturally last time, but this time round I'll probably try AI (Stallion is rather far away!) Can someone explain the procedure?
Obv I'll be speaking to my vet soon, but it would be nice to know what to expect
smile.gif
Thanks!

AndyPandy

Visit site
You monitor your mare, preferably with the vet, and preferably using hormones to control her season & ovulation.

When ovulation is close (easy if you're using Ovuplant/GnRH or LH/hCG), you ring the stud and get them to send semen in a shipper (which maintains the semen at about 5 degrees C), you need to make sure that you will receive the semen a minimum of 6 hours before and a maximum of 36 hours before ovulation. There's almost no point inseminating after ovulation.

You receive the semen the next day. A catheter is passed through the vagina and through the cervix, and the semen is expelled into the body of the uterus using a syringe - this can be performed by a vet or AI tech.

Very simple, very clean, and very controlled.

springfallstud

sfs-stud.com
Semen ideally wants to be used within 24 hours of arriving at vets <u>some</u> can stay live in the mare for 4 days. AI can be costly so ask around vets/studs for prices incl keep fee's. I am too scared to add up my bills this year because i know i would cry for too long
shocked.gif

AndyPandy

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Semen ideally wants to be used within 24 hours of arriving at vets...

[/ QUOTE ]

At the ABSOLUTE latest... If the semen was collected a 9am on a Monday, posted that day, arrived 10am Tuesday and was used 24 hours later, the quality of the semen would be pretty poor. The quicker it can get from the stallion to the mare's uterus, the better. The longer the sperm are kept outside of the uterus, the shorter their lifespan will be once inside the mare. Semen will generally last UP TO 48 hours chilled, but in my opinion should always be inseminated within 24 hours from the time of collection wherever possible.

AndyPandy

Visit site
Not really
smile.gif
Collect semen, get to mare as quick as possible, inseminate her
laugh.gif
And there are plenty of really experienced AI/ET centres in Argentina... so you should be fine.

Touchwood

www.touchwoodstud.co.uk
We are definately going for AI next year. Unfortunately, its not always as simple as show mare to stallion, do the deed, bun in the oven!
Far more controlled using AI and you can keep your mare at home which is a big plus for me.

AndyPandy

Visit site
Absolutely! Natural covering (in hand) can be far from simple. You still have to make sure you know when the mare is going to ovulate and then get her to the stallion or vice-versa. And even if the stallion is helpful, it only takes one kick from the mare to put the stallion out of action (that's the good thing about dummy mares, they don't kick). Less risk for everyone involved, much cleaner - less risk of infection, and the ability to know whether or not the ejaculate was any good!

PapaFrita

pilar-larcade.com
Fortunately my first experience breeding my mares was VERY straightforward. I guess I was lucky, or my mares are really rather special
tongue.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif

Incidentally... PF always seems to have rather long seasons. Is she just a bit slutty or is this quite normal?
smile.gif

amandaco2

Visit site
they will scan regularly to se if your mare is near to ovulating.
once she has a follice of around 3cm they will inseminate and re-scan the next day to see if shes thrown up fluid that needs clearing and to see if shes taken.
i also had scans at 7,14,21,50,100 and 150 days to keep an eye on progress.
my mare coped fine with the process, didnt need sedating.shes a very stressy TBx.
my stud did a package which covered all costs including any PG jabs for 3 cycles.
as the AI centre were excellent(100% sucess) my mare caught first time no prob as a 15yo maiden.
get a GOOD ai vet, otherwise it can work out very expensive