Ai - help needed

noodle_

Visit site
I want to put my mare in foal. By AI only due to the stallion I want to use.

Im looking at process of booking and costs...

Ive got the costs [providing she takes first time and nothing goes wrong... dont laugh ;] ] as to just a shade under 1k for 2 weeks livery and stud fee [plus another grand set aside - that dosent include foaling fees.... ]

the best AI vets in the areas Stud package.....

£215 (fresh/chilled) and £300 (frozen) per cycle plus VAT

Unlike other stud packages, you will not incur an "in foal fee" should your mare be confirmed in foal. If insemination does not take place, your package will be recalculated and refunded accordingly.

This includes:

· Pre-Breeding Examination
· All the scans associated with A.I and up to 3 pregnancy scans at 15,25,45 days
· Insemination
· Routine treatments
- 1 ovulating agent (Chorulon/Ovuplant)
- Oxytocin – help minimise post insemination fluid
- 1 dose of intrauterine antibiotics
- Post insemination uterine lavage with 1 litre of sterile saline
- 1 injection of prostaglandin- to short cycle the mare if necessary

What else do I need to account for? and when do i need to book her in for 2015??

Im planning to leave her there for 2 weeks in order to give us a good shot of scans and getting her in foal

Newbie to breeding - be nice please...

:D

Last edited:

be positive

Visit site
Sorry but why are you spending £1k plus on trying to breed a foal from a mare that is unproven in any way, in fact has proved to be a difficult ride so far judging by your previous posts, has a suspect temperament which may well be passed on to any offspring, when you could go and buy a really nice youngster for the same money, there is still no guarantee but if bred from a proven mare of known breeding and you can see siblings that are further on, things are more in your favour than breeding from an unknown quantity.
Not what you want to hear but with all that is involved to get a foal on the ground probably the most sensible option, if you go ahead don't expect her to take first time, she may do but many do not, I would leave until scanned in foal as moving can upset them and in the long run cost more if you are traveling far.
Have somewhere for the mare to live with the foal that is really suitable, not many DIY yards are set up to cope and find somewhere for the foal to go at weaning where it can be with a similar group which is far better for development than living with older horses.

Char0901

Visit site
I agree with the above to a certain extent. I did breed from my mare, she had good breeding and found a stallion that would compliment her and importantly to me, a lovely temperament to go with her lovely personality too.
I bred this foal purely for myself but I now have a nicely bred yearling with great manners and a lovely personality and he will spend his entire life with me.
I adore my boy and wouldn't change anything about him. However when I bred from my girl I had basically unlimited funds and could pay for any situation that could possibly happen. I don't think I could ever do it now on a budget, I'd be too worried about being able to cover costs... Anything could happen.
Buying a youngster already on the ground at least you get to see what your paying for! I chose my stallion carefully and I'm thrilled with the result but there's always an element of risk.
I know a lot of people who breed a mare just because they feel like it. It certainly isn't a cheap thing to do!

noodle_

Visit site
Thanks but question wasn't if I should breed her or not! That's ultimately my decision

I'm asking for cost ideas so I can make a decision that's right for me...The lines I want I can't afford to buy. I know her breeding, parents etc and siblings.

If I was breeding my section a "cause it's cute" I could understand that, but I have my decision.

I will leave this thread be and speak to breeders else where :)

Thank you anyway :)

Last edited:

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
That budget looks like a minimum one if everything works out perfectly first time round.

Possible extras include further cycles and livery if the mare doesn't take first time, and pinching out an embryo if the mare twins.

If you send her away to foal at a reputable stud, she will need to have various blood tests and swabs etc done to prove she is disease free (they all mount up cost wise).

I've done it once. It is very rewarding but it is not cheap, even when everything works out well.

No idea how anyone makes a profit from breeding.

Lgd

Visit site
Do a bit of shopping around on the AI fees.

Vets I used in Lancs for my horses is around £400 for up to 3 cycles fresh/chilled (frozen is more expensive) - I had to use fresh as my mare reacts to the extenders.
My local vets is £350 for 3 cycles fresh/chilled

Char0901

Visit site
Sorry I didn't mean for it to sound like you shouldn't do it. I don't know your horse at all obviously. The long and short of it is that it's not cheap!
My mare was at stud for about 8 weeks I think. She was AI'd first time but took with twins and lost both when one was pinched. Second time took one straight away. As said above there are lots of checks and tests that they do before they even begin. Then you have all the scans and call out fees whilst they are pregnant. It all adds up. I didn't keep a proper tack of what I spent as I didn't have a budget but I bet I was close to 3k (stud fee was £500, just paid once, wasn't charged for the time she didn't take and came with a live foal guarantee) that 3k doesn't include the £600 vet bill that followed foaling when my mare retained the placenta and had to be flushed multiple times. Then you have to think about what the foal needs in terms of jabs, passport in etc.
I don't really want to add all that up.. It hurts! Haha. That said it's very rewarding when they're here.
Good luck x

noodle_

Visit site
Thanks guys

I wasn't being rude so please don't be offended by my earlier post.

The foal (and mare ) are for keeps, I'm just trying to breed the best line possible as if worst comes to worst and I had to sell then at least I have given them a chance (years down the line)

Thank you again, I will read up again on posts as on my kindle at the moment

:)

Rollin

Visit site
I wish you every success and your chances of success will be greater if you are using an experienced stud vet. It is a nice feeling to breed your own foal. What if you don't succeed, how many cycles will you pay for?

I ask because I sent two mares for AI before I left the UK. After a total of 3 cycles for one and 4 for the other both were empty, it was too late in the year to look at other options, and my vet bill would make you choke!!!

Each conceived first time with natural covering and as one was our home-bred stallion that was a freebie.

noodle_

Visit site
Thank you :)

I have not thought that far ahead yet, just researching at the moment

A local natural covering would cut expenses but I'm yet to see what I want locally . I will keep looking though. :)

Rollin

Visit site
Thank you :)

I have not thought that far ahead yet, just researching at the moment

A local natural covering would cut expenses but I'm yet to see what I want locally . I will keep looking though. :)

Consider that horse transport may be cheaper than a vet scanning your mare at 2.00am!!!

Just being a bit lighthearted.

Mariposa

Visit site
I've had two maiden mares sent to stud this summer, both AI, and both scanned in foal after one cycle - so it can all go fine! Good luck!

noodle_

Visit site
Consider that horse transport may be cheaper than a vet scanning your mare at 2.00am!!!

Just being a bit lighthearted.

:D thanks - i think we need lighthearted on this thread haha

I think id rather ship her off to the vets for two weeks than be faffing about with scans at 2am haha :D

I've had two maiden mares sent to stud this summer, both AI, and both scanned in foal after one cycle - so it can all go fine! Good luck!

Thank you :D

Im hoping for this option - still thinking about who im using for her [ i have a list] furst classico seems very nice to compliment her [hence Ai]

DuckToller

Visit site
Last foal I bred cost me just under £2k (not including cost of keeping mare) which was stud fee and vet's bills. She didn't take with the first two coverings, so the costs rose but it wasn't too high as all the visits were shared - benefit of being at a stud.

This year she twinned and lost both, so have spent at least £600 on vet's bills so far, with more bills to come (am beginning to dread the postman now :) ) but no foal to show for it. Not sure I will try again tbh as it's all very trying, and at what point do you call it a day if she doesn't take? Set a limit and be firm with yourself!

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
It's surprising how much the little extras mount up. I couriered the chilled semen myself to save a bit, but was surprised to have to pay a c£90 semen collection fee direct to the AI centre at the time of collection. I'd assumed that it was all included in the £550 stud fee (and stallion was available by AI only), but no, it was down to me, the mare owner.

Spring Feather

Visit site
Unlike other stud packages, you will not incur an "in foal fee" should your mare be confirmed in foal. If insemination does not take place, your package will be recalculated and refunded accordingly.
The only thing that I would ask to clarify is this ^^^ What are they considering refunding? If the actual AI process does not take place? That's what it sounds like to me. Is there enough incentive for them to pull out all the stops to try to get the mare pregnant when they do not receive and 'in foal fee'?

This includes:

· Pre-Breeding Examination
· All the scans associated with A.I and up to 3 pregnancy scans at 15,25,45 days
· Insemination
· Routine treatments
- 1 ovulating agent (Chorulon/Ovuplant)
- Oxytocin – help minimise post insemination fluid
- 1 dose of intrauterine antibiotics
- Post insemination uterine lavage with 1 litre of sterile saline
Is this their standard protocol? (Sounds like it!) As in every mare they breed they use these methods? If so, that would raise alarm bells for me.

noodle_

Visit site
SF - yes standard package - ive looked at a few ai options and this is the standard inclusion

Im a total beginner so learning before i make a final decision - well my mind is made up but how/who with etc....

thank you all again for the helpful posts - :D

PuzzlePiece

Visit site
If I were you I'd work on three cycles. Of course there's so many affecting factors but in my experience three cycles should give you enough chances to get your mare in foal. Some times it's just bad luck and you'll need more but as a rough guideline. (Please don't shoot me down for saying this)
A few years ago I worked out to get my mare in foal it would cost about £1500 and that was with me inseminating and foaling, costs were mainly mare at stud and vets fees covered for basic. (I opted to buy 2 yr olds instead)
Check the vet package if the mare needs flushing out or caslicks then these are usually charged extra. Also plan to get her to the stud early in the season if possible, it can be stressful if you're just trying towards the end of the season and mares cycles can start to change with weather.
Talk to the stud they'll be able to run you through their procedures and what happens if things go wrong. It's better to be prepared and hopefully you won't be in a bad situation. Check your insurance.
As other have said check vaccinations, the mare will need several during pregnancy. And during foaling cost of vets visits, bute if needed, if foal needs plasma, enemas, worming it can all add up.
Think about after foaling, is the yard your on safe for a foal, would you be better leaving her at stud so foal can play with other foals, are you or are there people who have experience raising a youngster.
The cost of keeping a young horse for 3 yrs before you can really start his/her education.
Those are just off the top of my head, hope I've covered most topics. Good luck if you do decide to go ahead.

Edited: forgot semen postage or handling fees, some studs also charge vat, and feed for your mare you may need to increase her feed during the last few weeks.

Last edited: