Aids to rein back please?

kerilli

Visit site
someone pm'd to ask me this recently, and i saved my answer. this is how I was taught. my horses usually rein back really really nicely fwiw...!
It's easiest if you get a helper on the ground to assist the first few times, and to give the horse a push back on the chest while saying Back as you apply the aids, makes it easier for the horse to understand without you needing to use stronger aids.
I was taught: it has to begin from a good halt, square (feet exactly parallel) in front at the very least, ideally behind too. If not, repeat halt until you get a good balanced halt, this helps enormously. You get a feel for when it’s right, it has to be an active, attentive halt, and the balance really helps with a good rein-back, with the horse being confident to go back calmly, again with no loss of balance.
Rein back immediately from good halt, don't faff around with halt, check it, and then ask. it needs to have the forward impetus to transfer to the backward impetus, kind of thing.
I was taught to slightly lighten seat and then slide both legs back along horse’s sides, I don’t push inwards, the sliding back is enough of an aid. Just hold evenly with the hands, don’t pull at all (makes them hollow), just hold to block forwards movement. I use my voice to begin with too. Be happy with a stride or two to begin with, slide legs forward and ask horse to walk forward immediately, always, and praise. If horse swings 1/4s, use side of arena or poles to help. Repeating calmly, and always asking softly, is the way to get good, non-resistant, rein-backs.

camilla4

Visit site
I would just add to the above, if you have someone on the ground whilst you are teaching the horse, have them make absolutely sure that the horse is moving his legs in diagonal pairs and not "walking" backwards - it really does help to instill this from the beginning.

Sol

Visit site
My tiny bit of (seriously obvious) advice - make sure you look straight ahead ahead. My lad has a habit of swinging his quarters INTO the fence unless I made sure I focus 110% on a point directly infront of me :eek: This might just be us, but I find it helps to remember anyway :p
For the actual rein back I do exactly as kerilli said :) Don't make the mistake of sitting down on the saddle as you ask too, I find this really important - first time I rode rein back I did this and my horse went straight up, I ended up stood on the floor behind her still holding the reins - oops! :eek: