Aintree Day 1

Mariposa

Visit site
Finally Aintree is here!

Anyone got any tips for Day 1?

For me it's all about Rock on Ruby in the Aintree Hurdle, I just love that horse and the team behind him :)

Also the beautiful Ma Filleule in the Aintree Bowl, and I can't wait to see Sam WC going over those fences on Warne again in the Foxhunters.

Mariposa

Visit site
Last year I really thought he'd pip The New One in it, was one of the most exciting races all festival!

amage

Visit site
I would suspect Arctic Fire won't get up after that. Horrible fall

ETA WOW did not expect that poor horse to get up he really looked to have been fatally injured.

Last edited:
Visit site
Finally Aintree is here!

and I can't wait to see Sam WC going over those fences on Warne again in the Foxhunters.

Well he made it to the other side of 1 lol! That's the pleasure and the pain of those fences! Previous form counts for very little in the grand scheme of things!

Mariposa

Visit site
Well he made it to the other side of 1 lol! That's the pleasure and the pain of those fences! Previous form counts for very little in the grand scheme of things!

Poor Sam! He has such a good record over those fences...i really thought they might win again!

I was amazed Arctic Fire get up from that fall, so pleased to hear he is ok.

What's everyone on for tomorrow? I can't wait to see Cue Card back in action, and I hope Flintham runs well too.

JCWHITE

Visit site
For me, The Morning Line overall are doing a good job, Aintree looks magnificent,
Thought the farce of a start for the Foxhunters needs to be looked at, how many people does it take to put a bridle on, For me, the first fence came too quick in the same race , esp after a standing start.
Thought the corraling of the loose horses worked well yesterday and pleased to see so much water on hand .

Clodagh

Visit site
There were some horrible falls, so pleased to see Arctic Fire up but he looked pretty sore, I hope he makes a full recovery. Foxhunters was like the old days. The amateurs have no respect for the starter - they were the same at Cheltenham. How hopeless were they with that bridle, and why didn't they put the reins over his neck, what an incredibly good horse. My OH was laughing, we decided no one down there had ever tacked up a horse, they must have their grooms do it for them.
Top class racing though and I can't wait for today.

Mariposa

Visit site
How hopeless were they with that bridle, and why didn't they put the reins over his neck, what an incredibly good horse. My OH was laughing, we decided no one down there had ever tacked up a horse, they must have their grooms do it for them.

I felt so sorry for that poor jockey, he didn't seem to have a clue...I thought the horse was going to canter off home at one point!! It was a real pony club over the ears tumble wasn't it?

Visit site
This race is absolute carnage!!!

It looks as though every horse got up and away but there were some pearlers of falls which in turn brought down others!

I don't like SWC's tight silks! They just look wrong lol!

teapot

Visit site
Streamlined EKW - saw him win at Larkhill and compared to the wooley jumpers I can see why he wears them! Just won me some money too :biggrin3:

Visit site
Streamlined EKW - saw him win at Larkhill and compared to the wooley jumpers I can see why he wears them! Just won me some money too :biggrin3:

They defos beat the wooly jumpers any day lol! It will be interesting to see how many other owners start going for these skin tight things especially for the big races. He has the only set I have seen and nah, just don't like them lol! Probably just because they aren't traditional silks!

Clodagh

Visit site
I don't like the tight silks either, even on a bod like his!
I really enjoyed yesterdays racing, great to see AP strike again and Tom Scu, he seems such a nice man.

Mariposa

Visit site
I don't like them either....it just looks...wrong! But didn't he do well yestererday! It was utter carnage and he just started out of trouble. I had money on Theatre Guide and he literally got stopped in his tracks by that loose horse!

Right - today for the big one I'm on Soll, The Druids Nephew, Rubi Light and a few £ e/w on AP because actually I'd love him to win it. My daughter picked Oscar Time (when I say picked I mean I showed her the Racing Post and she sort of pointed vaugely in his direction.....!)

Visit site
For purely selfish reasons I really don't want McCoy to win! If he wins he retires on the spot. If he doesn't win he will be up at Perth in a few weeks for the Wed/Thur/Fri of his final week as a jockey and that will bring in massive crowds and a huge party atmosphere!

scotlass

Visit site
Seedling :( I hoped it wasn't as bad as it looked. Sad start to the day.

Quite an incident packed first race. Sad start with the fatality of Seedling, which if there is any consolation to take, looked instant. Thoughts are with everyone associated with him. Go West Young Man managed to get rid of his jockey twice - once before the start and again during the race .. and it's not often a NH horse needs ponied to the start, although from his last couple of starts, Days of Heaven can be a bit crazy.

x-di-x

Visit site
Ekw. Where are you? I live just along the road from perth but can't go to the upcoming races due to work :(. But agree would be good to see McCoy at perth and bring in the crowds to this small racecourse

x-di-x

Visit site
Get off the horse fgs.

Hopefully winner is ok.

Horse is fine..... Apparently he's known for overheating and the vets were there straight away.... He's just been on tv looking fine but still bring cooled in the cooling facility they have at Aintree.

I've just shed a tear of relief that Bakthazar King is ok. He's up and ok according to vet & owner. For some daft reason I really like that horse! He's got a stable with me should he ever need one lol

Visit site
Balthazar King is one incredibly lucky horse! He got galloped into when half up. You never wish any horse to come down but BK is such a wee legend in his own right I doubt many people enjoyed the rest of the race, especially when they bypassed the fence again. Ruby - fair play to him grabbed a flag to make sure that no one interfered with the vets doing their job. I bet a few jocks were relived not to have to jump the Turn again!

Aspell should have got off sooner, people should have told him to get off sooner. Yes the occasion may have got to him again but someone, anyone should have got him off sooner. I know myself the first thing I do is check the eyes as that's where you see the first signs off issues and if I have one then the jockeys are off before they know it!

It's easy for us to say all that at home but we are not the ones who have just won the National! But at least this year they did say to the public this is what's happening, this is why the horse isn't coming back into the enclosure et al. Keeping the public in the loop is the best way forward.

x-di-x I am just down by Milnathort, I work for Lucinda Russell :)

flaxen

Visit site
Balthazar king still out on course being assessed by vets as channel four racing goes off air. I hope he is ok but sounds very serious.

Visit site
Just goes to show what jockeys go through - I sincerely hope Robbie makes a full recovery!

Culloty told Channel 4 Racing before the Grand National: "My heart is thinking of Robbie McNamara at the moment. He is in surgery at the minute. As well as eight broken ribs and a punctured lung, he fractured his T11 vertebrae and there is a bit of spinal damage.

"There is a big haematoma on his spine pressing on his spinal cord and they are trying to remove that at the moment. My prayers are with him."