Air Jackets. do they help?

Carlosmum

Visit site
Having been bucked off the pony the other day onto the hard ground in a stubble field, I am wondering if my air jacket actually worked properly. I have a Hit-air which I wear when riding, normally without my BP underneath. I thought as I was flying through the air that it would be ok I have my jacket on. The next thought I had was why, hasn't it gone bang yet? Long story short it went bang as I hit the ground and seemed to make the fall a little less hard, however, now I am nursing an enormous bruise down my left hand side and my ribs though not broken/cracked are really sore. I know I landed on my hip so the bruise is expected but surely my ribs should have been more protected otherwise what is the point of the airbag in the first place?
2 years ago I had a similar fall from the same pony when wearing only my BP ( cracked ribs that time) hence the purchase of an air jacket but now I am wondering if it was worth it. Pony is only 14.2 so perhaps I need to fall from a greater height!! Moral of the story so far is next time I will wear both BP and air bags but I really dont want to go through this again OH will definitely ban me from riding ! Any thoughts ??

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
Sorry about your fall.

Do you have the lanyard set to the correct length? It can be shortened quite a bit so that it doesn’t interfere with normal riding, but will activate the vest if you part company from the horse, and for a pony it probably needs to be fitted on the shorter side. I should be able to remember how it’s done, as I’ve recently shortened mine. Is it supposed to be light tension when you are fully standing up in the stirrups? It’ll be in the destructions which came with the vest.

This is the lanyard I have, there’s a lot of adjustment in it.

ADFF658F-220E-461F-8D66-796D4F531201.jpeg

clairekat

Visit site
Had the same last saturday. Was wearing the Hit Air without a body protector underneath. I think we jumped the poles(4) and I lost my seat and set the air jacket off, spooked horse and landed bottom first, followed by the rest of me going splat. My ribs hurt for a few days and my bum is still tender but not bruised. I got the air jacket to protect my back after a fracture in my spine 9 years ago. I feel pretty awful still but the main part of my back is fine which I was worried about, just can't bend over much yet or pick out hooves. I'm thinking of loosening the air jacket a little so next time is doesn't hug me quite as much to save my ribs. Now I've had it go off I'm not riding without it.

Incidentally, in the week before hand, i got off whilst hacking to pass a building site and forgot I was attached and it never went off. The lady at the shop says it needs a 6 and a half stone pull on it to set it off

Polos Mum

Visit site
Have you had it annually serviced ? I think they need regular maintenance and should be sent away for that to happen
I think the canister can leak / not be put in properly - which would make it less effective.

I also concur with length of lanyard checking - the sooner the pin comes out the more inflated it will be by the time you hit the ground, a long lanyard and you're half way there before you pull the pin out. Given you had time to think 'why hasn't it gone off' then I'd guess the string is too long.

Carlosmum

Visit site
Sorry about your fall.

Do you have the lanyard set to the correct length? It can be shortened quite a bit so that it doesn’t interfere with normal riding, but will activate the vest if you part company from the horse, and for a pony it probably needs to be fitted on the shorter side. I should be able to remember how it’s done, as I’ve recently shortened mine. Is it supposed to be light tension when you are fully standing up in the stirrups? It’ll be in the destructions which came with the vest.

This is the lanyard I have, there’s a lot of adjustment in it.

View attachment 36970

Will definitely look at lanyard length as I know it will stretch far enough that I can dismount with it still intact.

The lady at the shop says it needs a 6 and a half stone pull on it to set it off
I do't think the 6 and a half stone limit is a problem here !

Have you had it annually serviced ? I think they need regular maintenance and should be sent away for that to happen
I think the canister can leak / not be put in properly - which would make it less effective.

I have had it 3 years and only blown once before, though I use it every time I ride, will get in touch with the shop & ask for advice

Skib

sites.google.com
My OH was sent a shorter lanyard free of charge . It did make a difference as he is so thin that his protruding vertebra were not protected by a bp.

Nicnac

Visit site
Why would you wear an air jacket without a BP underneath? I wear BP without P2 but never P2 on its own. There is a new hybrid (combining both) coming out in December just in time for Christmas ;) and yes, do get a pony lanyard!
Hope ouchies heal soon.

dixie

Visit site
It doesn’t sound like it’s worked properly. Your ribs should definitely not hurt.
I’ve fallen in just my air jacket plenty of times and hurt my bum and elbow but never my back or ribs.
Mine is a Heliet gilet so it’s not meant to have a BP underneath. I use it for hacking and sj.

CavaloBranco

Visit site
I've worn my Hit Air on its own for years out hacking, jumping. For me the whole point was to do away with a BP which is hot and uncomfortable. I appreciate the need for both XC. I've fallen off several times and it has always worked, bar one time when the gas canister had unscrewed itself somehow.
Hit Air were very good in their customer service and sent me 2 free canisters. They now have a click fitting I believe.

NiceNeverNaughty

Visit site
my hit air has really reduced the impact of a couple of falls but yes - you need to check the lanyard. On my 13.2hh I have the pony one and i also have a knot in it!!!

pepsimaxrock

Visit site
I use mine all the time. Mostly on its own and if I go XC I wear a regular bp underneath. I hate it but I fall off so often I need it. I find I get winded more if I fall off with the air jacket on rather than with just a normal bp but the effects of the fall are greatly reduced. Ive had it serviced loads and this one is actually my second one. Id love a hybrid but theyre off the market right now dread to think how much the new one will cost.
Anyway - to get back to the OP - it should go off in less than one second of parting company - that is when the lanyard breaks from its harness - it really should be short enough. Mine is a point 2 and slightly quicker than a hit air although I like that the hit air inflates outwards. Hope youre not too sore