Albion K2 jump verses Ideal impala

foxy1

Visit site
I tried an albion k2 and loved riding in it but unfortunately it didn't fit the horse, so looking at an ideal impala. Has anyone ridden in a k2 and an impala? If so, how does the ride of both saddles compare?
Thanks

CAH7

Visit site
Yes, I found them both supportive but the K2 felt bulkier and the Impala less 'blocky' if that makes sense? The Impala seat also felt shorter, so there wasn't enough room for my long leg. I now have an Exselle Integra jump which is a monoflap with just a tiny block and fits us both really well. :)

blood_magik

Visit site
I think you can customise the ideals? my saddler seemed to think that was an option iirc...

I preferred the K2 as I wanted bigger blocks for support and security.

DonkeyClub

Visit site
I thought the impala was rubbish for rider comfort/ stability... Nothing like the amazing K2! However every person likes different saddles

ihatework

Visit site
It doesn't really matter what other people like. It's what you like and what fits your horse.

I love the K2 jump, it seems to suit my body shape and riding style.

HotToTrot

Visit site
I love the Impala. Feel far more secure in it than the K2. In the K2, my lower leg flew back each time I jumped! I now have a Kontroll as well as the Impala, as the Kontroll fits him a bit better when he drops some weight over the winter.

Mithras

Visit site
I have an Ideal Patriot made to measure and it feels very similar to the Albion K2. I have heard that Albions aren't that great for horse's backs though, no idea if this is true.

TarrSteps

Visit site
Leaving aside the fact that Albions don't really suit me, I think you need to be a bit careful about generalising now as so many saddles are semi custom if not actually made to measure, and you're not going to know which ones are stock or not when you try other peoples.

I actually think this is an area where we've made trouble for ourselves by getting too technical. It used to be you could pretty much tell what a model would feel like and adjustments, such as a longer flap or different block, were obvious. Now every saddle feels different!

foxy1

Visit site
That's my problem too parkerpops- they are a lot of saddle for shorter backed horses.
Thanks all for replies. My (lifelong) quest for the perfect jumping saddle continues!

LouisCat

Visit site
I rode a friend's horse in an impala and I absolutely loved it. I felt so locked in and secure in it, especially impressed considering I was riding an unknown horse