Aldi jods not waterproof

Paint Me Proud

Visit site
I was keen to buy a pair of Aldi's water resisitant jodhpurs as I'm fed up of getting cold thighs when I get rained one!

So I wore them for the first time today for a jumping lesson in the rain and am sad to report that they are not as water resistant as they claim :(

Well that's perhaps only partly true, the softsheel sections are water resistant and the fleece lining was bones dry after the rain, however they have a suede full seat and this bit appears not to be waterproof at all. After my ride the suede area between the thighs was very soggy and cold, which is not so attractive when it makes you walk like a penguin muttering 'cold, cold, cold, cold'!

I'm really disappointed as if the whole jods were made from the softshell material they would be great. I'm going to be returning them to aldi for a refund as there is no point wearing them in the rain if I know i'm still going to get wet.

Has anyone else had the same problem with them?

iknowmyvalue

Visit site
I have a decathlon pair and had a problem with them leaking around the seams of the suede knee sections, I used some of the waterproofing stuff meant for hiking boots and that seems to have done the trick! You can get it at most outdoor shops or on amazon :) I think there are different types for different materials but I just used what we had...

DirectorFury

Visit site
They're reasonably cheap from Aldi - imagine how unhappy I was to discover that my (blimmin expensive) Pikeur ones had the same problem!
I've never had a single problem with the Decathlon Kipwarm ones leaking, and I've ridden in truely torrential rain.

thatsmygirl

Visit site
Tbh if you return them they could well say there isn't anything wrong with them. If they stated water prof then that's different but they aren't water prof so technically no fault with them

Paint Me Proud

Visit site
You're going to return them?? They are water resistant, not waterproof, and just as a pair of decent quality jods they're very good value.

I know they are water resistant and not waterproof but the problem is that the water resistant part channels the water to the not water resistant part which doesnt happen in normal jods and to be blunt I found soggy knickers incredibly uncomfortable! :(

I have since thought about it and will keep them as they will be good in cold weather, but I wont be wearing them in wet weather again not for riding anyway which is a real shame as that is why I bought them

Lyle

Visit site
They aren't designed for rain? In a light shower or heavy fog, you'd stay drier than conventional fabrics. Rain, well, you're gonna get wet!

xgemmax

Visit site
They're water resistant not water proof. I also have a pair of Hy Performance softshell breeches and the suede part on them is the same

wingedhorse

Visit site
They're water resistant not water proof. I also have a pair of Hy Performance softshell breeches and the suede part on them is the same

Yes, I've two pairs of Horze, full seat, waterproof fleece lined breaches. However the suede seat part isn't waterproof. I have yet to find anything full seat, where the full seat part is waterproof.

Though I don't get the pooling effect that OP describes.

Aside I have a pair of riding over trousers, with full seat, that ARE waterproof. Thing are Taggs.

Paint Me Proud

Visit site
Just want to establish that I do know the difference between waterproof and water resistant but the point I'm trying to make is that a large area of the jodhpurs are NOT water resistant as they claim, that's why I'm disappointed.

stormox

Visit site
get a pair of Aldi cycling wet weather trousers and wear them over your jods - you will keep perfectly dry, I have had mine 3 years now and theyr still absolutely waterproof.
Water-resistant is not waterproof.......

Lanky Loll

Visit site
Wore mine in the rain yesterday with no problems, I have a tan saddle and there was a definite dry patch where I'd been sat :D
The outside was dry within about 20 minutes (journey home in the lorry) too.