Alf, and the big bute debate! Update

Auslander

Visit site
Sure you'll remember me agonising, after I got told I should put him down, rather than give him a bit of bute for his arthritic joints.
Weeellllll - I'm not buting him any more, even though it did a great job at keeping him comfortable for some light hacking (which kept him mobile).

I decided to try Cartrophen, and other than him hating me for 24h after each jab, it's been such a brilliant move! He has just had his 3rd jab (One a week for the first month, then once a month) and he's looking super sound, and feeling very good. I can even feel him pushing from behind - hadn't realised he wasn't, til he was! He also waves his head around, bounces up and down, and squeals when the fancy takes him - so the Holy Crap strap has been added to his hacking wardrobe!

I feel like I may have bought him a few more years-it's a great feeling!

Fragglerock

Visit site
Brilliant, I tried Cartrophen on my lad but it didn't work for him. He is on one Danilon a day and fine, I don't care what anyone else thinks about that.

wren123

Visit site
Really good news! I love hearing about your ponies.

Also very helpful as cartrophen is something suggested for my dog when yumove advance doesn't work, metacam doesn't seem to make any difference to her symptoms.

SEL

Visit site
Bit rough suggesting PTS when a bit of arthritis meds can keep them happy for ages. Catrophen didn't work on my mare sadly so she's having her hocks medicated when I get back from holiday - although I've taken some grief on that too from various parties. I'm not quite sure why people have an issue. She's sore, steroids will hopefully help and then she will feel less sore. Why it is supposed to be a 'better thing' to let them continue to be sore and not use drugs I don't know....

Militiare is politely described by the vets as 'knackered' joint wise. So we use danilon and then he thinks he is a 5yo again. Both horse and human are happy.

Long may Alf need the oh-s*** strap added to his riding outfit

stencilface

High upon a hillside
Visit site
Interesting. My dog has cartrophen every time he's looking a bit stiff (once a year or so) good to know it's an option fit the horse too potentially

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
That's brilliant news! Just had the Cartrophen discussion again with my own vet this am. She finds that Cartrophen works either spectacularly well or makes barely any difference. T typically is an inbetween horse who it helped a bit when she had the 4 jab course last year, but not much. So we continue with one Danilon a day for now and depending on today's blood pull results for ACTH assay to check that her PPID is still under control, get her hocks injected again soon.

Shady

Visit site
That's really good to know Aus and i'm glad it's worked on Alf, he always sounds like a very cool horse . Iv'e just looked it up and i will definitely bear it in mind for one of mine. He's doing well on my herb and spice mix but i am sure the time will come when a stronger option is needed. The only problem i foresee is his total hatred for injections but i can work on this if i must or twitch him. Thanks for the post. x

Last edited:

Auslander

Visit site
That's really good to know Aus and i'm glad it's worked on Alf, he always sounds like a very cool horse . Iv'e just looked it up and i will definitely bear it in mind for one of mine. He's doing well on my herb and spice mix but i am sure the time will come when a stronger option is needed. The only problem i foresee is his total hatred for injections but i can work on this if i must or twitch him. Thanks for the post. x

Alf isn't a massive fan of injections. He braces himself and puts up with the actual event, but then expresses himself by nipping the nearest person, as soon as he knows their guard is down!