Alf. Glad he's feeling well, but...

Auslander

Visit site
The old git has added a new skill to his repertoire of Dark Arts.

The current tactic with him is to let him choose the speed we go at out hacking. Sometimes he wants to plod, sometimes he is up for a bit of charging around - I'm happy with whatever makes him happy.

Today, our hacking buddy wanted to trot, so off she went. Alf trotted a few strides, then decided that actually he'd rather wander along on a long rein, looking at the view. So that's what we did.

Until... he changed his mind (with no warning AT ALL), jumped in the air, and cleared off up the bridlepath in hot pursuit... I gathered up my wits, and my reins, and got off his back - and we had a very nice canter up the track. He started getting a bit onward bound, so I checked him - and the old devil slammed the brakes on, put his head down and pigrooted like a goodun - firing me straight over his left shoulder! I'm not entirely sure how I did it, but I somehow hooked my elbow over his neck, and from my head down position, with all my limbs on his left hand side, I heaved myself back into the saddle! I thought I was a goner, my hacking partner thought I was a goner, and so did Alf - he was very surprised when I failed to hit the deck!

He then proceeded to do pissage and bounce around all over the shop til the end of the bridlepath - senior delinquent!

Auslander

Visit site
Haha he sounds like he was having a great time!

Definitely! There was a squeal at one point too! I will be getting his saddle checked, as its new, and this isn't a manoeuvre that he has performed before - but my gut feeling was that it was a mixture of cheek and Yee Ha...
Better not be the saddle, as I suspect that's what saved me - monster knee blocks!

JFTDWS

Visit site
Sounds like he was just reminding you who wears the trousers ;)

Definitely! There was a squeal at one point too! I will be getting his saddle checked, as its new, and this isn't a manoeuvre that he has performed before - but my gut feeling was that it was a mixture of cheek and Yee Ha...
Better not be the saddle, as I suspect that's what saved me - monster knee blocks!

Monster knee blocks are god's gift to riders of opinionated horses... Mine saved me today when Dae ignored an aggressive launch from an angry GSD, then immediately did a fair impression of a small angry spinny-leapy thing because a small ATV was being driven (slowly and considerately) on the track.