All day turnout.

Lacuna

Visit site
Ive really enjoyed moving yards as cobley is now only 5 mins walk from home instead of 20 min drive. New yard have offered to start keeping them out full time as the grass is coming on nicely and the clay fields are nicely drained.

I would like to do this but have two niggly thoughts. One is that they are in individual paddocks with no field shelters. It s fine at the moment but I would be concerned that there isn't any shade when temperatures rise. (Also sunburn as he has a very white face)

Also they are asking if I want to section the field. I haven't done this before. Last year he was on the same paddock 365 days and mowed it down constantly without needing it sectioning apart from topping the weeds off. This year his paddock is approx a third bigger and I'm not sure what to do with it. He is the sort that could get lammy. He's barefoot and only ever has gone a bit footy in the spring. Would keeping him on 24hr grass be an issue?

Reactions: DD

Nudibranch

Visit site
If he goes footy in spring you already have an issue. Also how did you manage worm control on the same patch 365? Personally I prefer a track to making small sections but not everyone can do this. If you can, I would. I'd also treat him as insulin resistant and make sure you remove all sugary hard feed. Mag ox is useful if your grazing is low in magnesium - a lot is -and feed some salt with it. Graze the track right down and feed soaked hay or unmolassed chaff.

be positive

Visit site
I think in many ways they eat less, or gorge less, if out 24/7 or overnight but I do think it unfair to keep horses alone with no shelter at all and not even a mate to stand next to so would probably bring in during the day if that was the only way to get them out of the sun/ flies.
As for the grass you will need to be careful so fencing some off may need to be done before the grass really comes through, would it be possible to share turnout with another with similar requirements, they would move about more which helps keep weight down,you could move back and forth when the grass goes down so they are in a bigger area and not too restricted for space.

meleeka

Visit site
You could see if he could come in during the day for respite from the sun/flies on sunny days rather than out 24/7 in the hot sun
This would be a good compromise. Can you have a track round the field with electric fence? That’s far better for fatties imo than making the field smaller thereby reducing movement.

twiggy2

Visit site
I used to bring in for a few hrs during the hottest part of the day if the weather was exceptionally hot, do check your stable is cooler than outside though as many are like sweat boxes and the horses are better outside with a bit of a breeze.
I used to hose down and turn out wet too

Pc2003

Visit site
I don’t have loads of shelter so my 2 would come in if very hot etc, just for a few hours of rest. Tho as mentioned you do need to be careful as some stables get really hot.
I have a 3 acre paddock that my 2 use all year round and that’s been sectioned off since about mid feb. It is looking very green. Plus as mentioned easier to control worming etc and gives some of it a rest. If 24/7 turnout is being offered now go for it!

Goldenstar

Visit site
If the paddocks small I think you will have stable part of the day when the weathers hot and the flys are bad.

Lacuna

Visit site
Thanks all for your suggestions. I think we may well go with turning out overnight for most of the summer as the paddock is not massive (30m x 90m at best guess)

Unfortunately I don't think I can put up my own shelter (mostly as I don't have the ready money to invest in one at present). This is a shame as he has two ponies next to his paddock that live out due to having a joint shelter building.

Horsekaren

Visit site
Last spring my horse went from being in at night with very little grazing in their winter field to being out 24/7 on grass. I hated it but there wasnt anything i could do the change was literally over night. I tried so many things, i brought him in of a night with his neighbor who was also concerned. I tried muzzling during the day and taking it off at night. Every time he went back on the grass he would gorge... and i mean GORGE!!! it would fall out of his mouth he was shoveling it in so quick, this would go on for hours :( I then decided to remove the muzzle and leave him out and he stopped gorging and would eat like a normal horse.

We also had no shade, i worried so much as he too is pink so i brought him in during the day and my god that was so much worse. His stable was wood and turned into a hot box, i left him for 2 hours came back and he was sweating so much standing at the back of his stable so didnt try that again. Defo check how hot you stable gets in the day before doing that! I tried to make my self feel better by thinking for the most part of the day they can keep half of their body kind of in the shade when the sun inst midday. Don't underestimate the power of a small breeze too.

A full fly mask for a pink nose is a must! i tried Aniwell and loved it but it works out so expensive when they are out 24/7

i am lucky now i have moved and have shade, he uses it all the time.