ALL IS REVEALED!!

S_N

Visit site
OK sorry for the suspense and secrecy. I wanted to know what everyone else thought and honestly too, which you all were and I am very gratefull for it
smile.gif
. He has been dead
frown.gif
for 7 1/2 years and sometimes you can develop rose tinted glasses over time. at the time of the pic (Sep 1997) he had been on and off box rest for a number of months due to niggling injuries (Ishould have said this earlier - sorry). Basically I agree with pretty much everything said by everyone on both posts, although he will remain perfect to me.

Meet my user name sake "SPORTSNIGHT"
grin.gif
The Daddy of my broodmare and the sire of some good sports horses, inc. Good Sport who won the Burghley Young Event Horse series a few years ago (4 or 5 yr old
confused.gif
). He himself was a sucessfull eventer and SJ with Terry Boon, William Fox-Pitt and Willam Funnell, by the age of 8 then his career turned to dressage.

ac290abb.jpg

S_N

Visit site
It is good isn't it - it's from a magazine that featured the Stud I worked on - I am trying to trace the photographer so I can get a proper framed copy.

JAK

Visit site
Feel AWFUL now, criticising a dead, much-loved horse!
Oh dear, too late now to delete post as you have prob read it already!
You did ask though! (And didn't say anything dreadful about him!) xxx

S_N

Visit site
Oh Lord no - please don't feel awfull - you and a few others gave the response I was after!! What horse is perfect after all!! I've never seen one!!! I know he had a neck akin to a dinosaur and that he was a tad upright and straight through the hocks and that he lacked depth - but but he was sooooooo huggable
grin.gif
Ah well, have totally lost perspective on that one!

JAK

Visit site
Know what you mean about the rose-tinted specs though!
My absolute favourite dog of all time, who has been dead for many years now, was shockingly cow-hocked but I always remember her as the most beautiful & perfect example of her breed!
(Probably partly because the majority of the photos we took of her cleverly only showed her gorgeous head & expression! LOL)

minesadouble

Visit site
Ahhh - have to confess didn't recognise him but do recall him - absolutely super sire, you are lucky to have a mare by him - lovely boy!

S_N

Visit site
Thank you - I think so too
grin.gif
Been looking for a baby Sportsnight for 9 yrs and I found B just down the road, here in cornwall
grin.gif
I esp. wanted a mare, so she could have babies, but she had to be the right mare!! I even worked with her as a foal!! She was the first baby Sporty that I ever saw
smile.gif
grin.gif
laugh.gif
cool.gif

Sare

Visit site
He is absolutely gorgeous - thats a stunning pic! I tried to be fair but critical in my assesment of him so i hope that was ok, so i was right about him being a stallion and being out of work. What i did not put was what the person after me saw- the fact that he looked like an athlete and able to perform- you can certainly see that in the pic on this post!

Its so nice that you now have his daughter, hope she brings you as much joy as he did!

S_N

Visit site
Awwwww thank you Sare- that means a lot!! She too does the occasional helicopter impressions, and is just as huggable
laugh.gif
I liked the way you worked through his points - I asked for criticism and I think that everyone was extremely fair!!

S_N

Visit site
As far as I know, he stood at the Catherston and Haddon Studs and somewhere in Norfolk before that. The pic on this thread is from the 1997 Feb edition of Eventing Magazine, maybe you saw him there. I took the conformation shot on the previous threads.

S_N

Visit site
He he - As I said earlier in this post I was just really interested about what all of you guys would think of him. Impossible and stupid to be offended as I asked for honesty and I knew his faults as well as any (though the pic could have been better). B is gorgeous (though she is ever so slightly pigeon toed, my farrier agrees that it was due to poor farriery as a foal! And she has her Daddy's neck
shocked.gif
) - click here for pics of her
www.horseandhound.co.uk/forums/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/479582/an/0/page/2#479582

horsimous

Visit site
If he has Erdball in his breeding then he's related to my lovely big horse. Interesting to see him as I don't know much about that side of his breeding!

Sare

Visit site
I have just been puzzling over this thread too- til I realised it was from last year!

Blimey, its been ages since I posted on here regularly- must get back more, bet there are not many left who know me now!

Patches

Visit site
I do! You have a Cleveland Bay, but strangely that's pretty much all I remember. However, I am getting old so I have an excuse for forgetting!

Tia

Visit site
Me too! I remember when you were deliberating over even going to see Troy, never mind actually buying him!
smile.gif

I noticed a post from you a while ago saying you had another as Troy had arthritis or similar? Poor Troy - he was a fab horse for you to buy.