All those with arthritics - thoughts...

pottamus

Visit site
Hi,
Has anyones horses with arthritis got worse recently...my lad seems to be having a flare up and wondered if anyone else is experiencing the same?
At the moment his field (as everyone elses are) is a bog and has lots of mud to walk through by the gate and he is struggling with this. He spends most of the day stood still eating his hay as there is no grass left now.

I have the option of moving him to his old field which is not muddy at the moment as not been used...but it means walking him there along the road for about 5 minutes...is that a better option do you think to relieve him from walking through a wet deep field? He would also be pottering about in the field as it has an amount of short grass in it left from last autumn.
Thanks in advance.

Auslander

Visit site
i'd definitely move him! i have 4 horse on my land, and three of them are arthritic to varying degrees. i've just moved them off the grazing, and into the outdoor school - and they are SO much happier and more comfortable. A short walk won't do him any harm - its good for creakies to keep moving!

Bertolie

Visit site
My arthritic horse was definitely struggling with the mud in the winter paddock. I dont have the option to move to a different one so I made the decision to keep him stabled until the weather improves. I know they say turnout is better but he is far more comfortable being in. I would move your boy to the other field. The walk wont harm him.

jam14

Visit site
I feel your pain!

My mare went lame in one knee 4 years ago and was diagnosed with arthritis at 10. I was gutted and all we could hope for was she would be sound again and comfortable and maybe hacking.

On danilon she wasnt 100% and without she was lame as a duck in walk and awful to watch. I put her on a herbal mix from JK's herbs and she was sound on nothing else but the herbs on 6 weeks and competing in showing not long after!!

The only time she has been lame since was when she was out in the mud and it pulled her knee. I have since kept her in the arena when it is muddy and she has been sound since and the vet re xrayed her last year and said the herbs had stopped the arthritis progressing any further.

I would move him too and look into the herbs! Look on fb for their page xx

asbo

Visit site
I have an old arthritis lad, actually moving to my own place in 2 weeks as where we are is no good for him, he's currently stuck in a shelterless field round a bale of hay, no grass left at all. He's always been better out but at my new place he has the option to come in to a 16x16 stable at nights so hoping this helps him x

poiuytrewq

Visit site
I'd move him. The little wander up the lane will do him good as will not having to haul himself around in mud. The more mobile he is the better. Wish I had an option 2 for my boy!