ALLELUYAHHHHHHH!

Benjamin

www.freewebs.com
I have just read one of the monthly horse mags, think it s your horse, Q and A section.
A girl who wrote in about her horse having Navicular, and the first thing that all the professionals said was FOOT BALANCE!!!!

what i would have given to have had a vet like that!!

isn't hindsight a wonderful thing?

hollyzippo

Visit site
Yeah, seems that people are noticing bad foot balance at last. Shame mine has navicular despite having good foot balance! Mind you, just think how bad he'd be if he didnt!!
crazy.gif

Benjamin

www.freewebs.com
One of the vets also said that navicular syndrome is over diagnosed. True Nav is a hole through the bone!
If the vets, and my OLD farrier had addressed foot balance then we would be covered for so much more on my insurance!!!
crazy.gif

Just glad I have found a farrier who cares!
P x

sally2008

Visit site
As they say hindsight is the only perfect science.
frown.gif
Finally the light does seem to be dawning with more and more professionals.

I agree with the "navicular syndrome" being throughly overused and over diagnosed. If only more would address the obvious issues first before spending all clients money on using the expensive diagnostic toys.

Your farrier pointed out to a girl in my yard the other day that her horse has a negative sole plane which might explain why he's struggling physically to meet the demands she puts on him. Her response? "I can't afford a better farrier." Give me strength!!!! So why not tell her farrier it's been pointed out and ask him what he can do about it? Err, it would mean arranging to be there when the horse is shod, which appears to be faaaaaaaaaaar too much trouble. ** beats head on desk in frustration **

Weezy

Visit site
See I may bang on about never having an outstanding farrier in Spain, but when one of my mounts had queried navicular the farrier was RIGHT on the case and made her sound in a matter of weeks and there was no further change - navicular IS bandied around WAY too much, most foot probs can be solved by decent farrier work

B_2_B

Visit site
one of the horses at Mossburn supposedly had navicular but she hasn't. that was just the people that owned her though because they hadn't taken any x-rays or anything. think they just wanted rid of her
frown.gif

Benjamin

www.freewebs.com
[ QUOTE ]
I agree with the "navicular syndrome" being throughly overused and over diagnosed. If only more would address the obvious issues first before spending all clients money on using the expensive diagnostic toys.

[/ QUOTE ]
Indeed!!!! So Benj has navicular 'syndrome' does he..............hmmmmpf!

Benjamin

www.freewebs.com
[ QUOTE ]
Would someone forward this to my farrier please...

[/ QUOTE ]
Trouble is, alot farriers just don't want to know.
Was having a chat about my old farrier last night. My new farrier was more than happy to advise and spend time with the old farrier, showing him what he has done and why.....old farriers respone............I have been doing this job for x amount of years.......what can he teach me!!! GRRRRRRRRRRRRR!
His attitude stinks!

Benjamin

www.freewebs.com
[ QUOTE ]
I used to work in a vets, and very often navicular was used when they just didnt know!

[/ QUOTE ]
Its a cop out if you ask me!!
Fair enough, for true navicular, but this syndrome malarky! Just a general term for a problem around that kinda area..........

sally2008

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Was having a chat about my old farrier last night. My new farrier was more than happy to advise and spend time with the old farrier, showing him what he has done and why.....old farriers respone............I have been doing this job for x amount of years.......what can he teach me!!! GRRRRRRRRRRRRR!
His attitude stinks!

[/ QUOTE ] That really does stink! Surely professional curiosity would mean he would want to know what's been done to get the horse sound where he couldn't. Ignorance is bliss I suppose.
mad.gif
They say a man is never truly stupid until he stops asking questions - prime example here me thinks.

sally2008

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Would someone forward this to my farrier please...

[/ QUOTE ] Gladly! I think more owners should bring this kind of thing to the attention of the Farriers Registration Council too - afterall they are funded by tax-payers money so perhaps we should all be a bit more demanding about them looking after our interests a bit better. IMHO farriers should be obliged to do continued professional development.

sally2008

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Indeed!!!! So Benj has navicular 'syndrome' does he..............hmmmmpf!

[/ QUOTE ] Exactly! Still sound on no medication I take it, despite a year of being able to enjoy him to the full, do dressage and show jumping?