Allen and Page calm and condition

xxcharlottexx

Visit site
Hi, I was wondering if any one fed there horses this, i bought some for my horse today, and after reading the things on the back, it says allow pleanty of water to absorb before feeding and add chaff (im adding molly chop)

so tested it in a small cup, and it went like sugar beet
crazy.gif

Please could someone tell me how long you were meant to add water before feeding
confused.gif

any help appreciated

thanks
charlotte

Weezy

Visit site
Ummm firstly why are you feeding a calming mix with molichop? The molasses is one thing that is not used in a calming mix as it can be heating - so you are kind of shooting yourself in the foot there!

As for adding water to mix - add water to feed, do evening stables and then feed (thats what I do anyway) - so anything from 15 mins to an hour soaking (there is prob more of a science to it than that tho)

LauraBR

Visit site
I didn't read the bag closely enough to notice this instruction when I first fed it so for 5 months my horse had it fed straight- did him no harm.

I have recently put my current horse on it and I just whack some watery speedibeet over his feed, stir it all together and feed it.

rach1984horse

Visit site
I use ride and relax. it has the same instructions on the bag. The way I do it is just put a quick splash of apple juice (because mine are spoilt) in. It's not to soak the feed as you would sugar beet, just to add a little moisture. If you soak the feed it will just end up in a sloppy mess.

vicijp

www.vicijpricehorses.co.uk
Whenever I use it I generally leave it for an hour at least. If you put water right over the food (ie so it goes like soup), it will absorb it all. Apparently does no harm dry though (know someone who rang the feed line).

LauraBR

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Ummm firstly why are you feeding a calming mix with molichop? The molasses is one thing that is not used in a calming mix as it can be heating - so you are kind of shooting yourself in the foot there!

[/ QUOTE ]

Didn't think C&C was a calmer, just a slow release energy feed to build condition? e.g. extra calories without sudden slurge of energy?
confused.gif

Weezy

Visit site
Ohhh just looked at the website - sorry, I am used to anything with "calm" in the title to shout about the fact it has no mollasses included, however this is just barley and oat free - sorry

*slinks away*

wizzer

Visit site
Well i too fed it dry with no probs for ages but my friend used it and her horse choked the first day on it dry. We spoke to local A&P rep who said whatever you do soak it first!! Mind you she was really helpful and gave us free vouchers for another bag!! I've always used A&P fibre pencils for my old girlwhich they suggest should be well soaked but recently tried Spillers and it says nothing on the bag about soaking but it swells just as much when you do.

xxcharlottexx

Visit site
Thanks for all your help, The stuff i had left in the cup turned mushy pretty much straigh away, so will try making feed, then bringing and by the time i have given him a brush/changed rugs ect im sure it will be fine
grin.gif

Thanks!

sharni

Visit site
my friends horse suffered horrendous choke with this product when her husband gave him a few of the nuts dry. they nearly lost him. be careful to add plenty of water to soften, I'd add lots to make them into a mash, just to be sure.

rcm_73

Visit site
I use Allen & Page Ride&Relax and just moisten it with water. I have had trouble getting any 'chop' without either molasses or alfalfa added unless I pay through the nose for it. Currently I use HI-fi original and end up picking the alfalfa out. Sorry to nick your post but if anyone can suggest a chop product with no molasses or alfalfa added and that is reasonably priced and fairly easy to get hold of i'd be pleased...but maybe asking too much??!!

sevenoceans

Visit site
Fed mine Calm and Condition, i just made up feed with C&C at bottom along with alfa oil, mix and supplements, then add water leave if for few seconds then mix well... hey presto and my boy never had problems.

sevenoceans

Visit site
For MyMills.... is Hi Fi any good? instead of Mollichop or Alfa? Edited to say Sorry misread your post... ummm... I can't think of anything.... Happy hoof? I thought hi fi is completey chop?

Toby_Zaphod

Visit site
I tried Calm & Condition, I moistened it & added Hi Fi Lite, had no problems however it sent my horse loopy. I give Ride & Relax now & again moisten it & he goes alot better on that.

rcm_73

Visit site
Hi-Fi is unmolassed but does contain alfalfa. It's ok tho as a maintenance feed, I only add a handful because of the alfalfa content. Can't seem to find anything these days without either molasses or alfalfa or both & as R&R is a feed with both these ingredients taken out it seems stupid to then put one back in! Maybe I should post my Q. Trying to remember what Happy Hoof contained, did use it for a pony once...is it Spillers? Could take a look at their site.

jinglejoys

Visit site
Oh dear! I just started giving this to Malaga and presumed you just fed it dry--he takes AGES eating it but mules don't tend to bolt their food

KatB

Visit site
I feed Ride and Relax with Alfa Oil because I know that Alfa does nothing detrimental to him! If it has no effect on your horse, I'm sure the low levels in HiFi will do him NO harm whatsoever.
smile.gif

xxcharlottexx

Visit site
although hes TB hes not particualrly loopy, well most of the time anyway so hopefully he wont go loopy

although i may have just jinxed myself seeing as ive not been ride him for 8 weeks

For those who are feeding it, or another allen and page product
how much would you reccomend feeding it (by the cup full)
hes 16.0 and in light work, mainly hacking

sevenoceans

Visit site
I feed mine one stubbs Scoop splint in 2 feeds! he's 17 hands, in light/medium work. also i have fed him approx 2 mug fuls through out summer and he was off work for 3 months.... No difference apart from gaining some flesh (he was looking bit ribby)

SueAllen

Visit site
Having just started mine on it I find that it takes very little time to soak up water. If I am in a hurry then I can leave it soaking in the time it takes me to change rugs or something similar or else leave it for longer if I am more organised. I mentioned it to feed merchant who said that A&P probably insist you soak it to avoid any comeback on choke but I reckon A&P have spent some time and money developing and probably know best how to maximise their feeds!? I do find you have to mix in chaff feed and anything else - and it does get a bit stuck to the inside of the bucket if that's how you feed it. A couple of sharp taps releases it later. So far my boy seems to be doing well on it - hunting twice a week and not getting spooky.

Flipper

Visit site
Hi

I have fed this feed for a long time and swear by it. We had a chestnut who was allergic to barley and fed it to him. He was a fizzy skinny little thing and blossomed on it, so I used it on my daughters TB/Connmara who was a good doer who went silly on anthing more than a pony cube. He looked fantastic on it and maintained good weight through the winter with now need for sugar beet or more heating feeds.

I feed it with a handful of Readigrass and a carrot and wet it in the feedbucket and feed it immediately. It does not need soaking but must be wetted- not loads of water.

I would not mix it with mollychop - why feed straw and molasses?

I have found that mixing it with other feeds can be heating. I once fed the chestnut on this with farriers formula and he was an interesting ride!!!!!!!!!!!!

Its a great feed, your horse will shine in a few weeks.