Allergic reaction

holeymoley

Visit site
Does this sound like an adder bite?

Horse presented with mass swelling- face was the same width all the way down, could hardly open his eyes, lots of swelling around chin grove area and muzzle. Two hot mass swellings behind forearm, swollen sheath and a large swelling under belly. Generally a bit fuller looking all over. Vet out took blood, administered meds and left meds for 4 days. Significant improvement within 12 hours although still some swelling. 24hours skin around muzzle/nostrils started peeling off. 36hours all back to normal. However. Rear fetlock looks slightly swollen, I’m almost positive. Also 2 very small straight parallel cuts slightly above it, maybe 3-4 millimetres long. Praying it doesn’t turn to cellulitis. It was husband that queried if it could’ve been an adder and I brushed it off but now I don’t know!

ETA- horse wears muzzle so highly unlikely he’s managed to ingest anything or stick nose in anything, I’ve also checked field for poisonous plants and only came across a patch of stinging nettles. Initially I thought bad reaction to an insect bite of some sort or that he’d lay in something.

Parrotperson

Visit site
could be an adder yes. They're incredibly active when its hot. They only attack if they feel threatened.

But could also but other things! Impossible to know. Hope horsey feels better soon.

J&S

Visit site
My NF pony blew up all over many years ago, called vet who gave her antihistamine (now a days they give steroids I believe). She reduced in swelling quite quickly but there were sore patches behind elbows, at stifle and various other places. Vet walked field with me and we could find nothing and it never happened again.
Horse at farm livery definitely was bitten by some thing and went into anaphalactic shock with sweliing. Vet injected her and she recovered quickly.

holeymoley

Visit site
That sounds awful J & S. I thought he was improving. He has what seems to be an edema in his belly and I’m still not convinced the fetlock is going down. Another call to the vet I think ?

Hackback

Visit site
Our old boy had similar a few years ago. Started as hives all over his body and quickly progressed to oedema collecting under his tummy, elbows, sheath and legs. The vet treated him with antihistamines and said it was an allergic reaction to something and that we'd probably never find the cause. The swelling got worse before it got better and then his hair came out in clumps on the swollen bits. It looked horrendous but he didn't seem to even really notice and luckily it's never happened since.

Hope your boy improves soon.