Allergic reactions to flu/tetanus vaccines

colourednut

Visit site
I have an 8 month old colt foal who has just been vaccinated with his second flu/tet jab. His neck has really swollen up. The vet has visited and confirmed it is a reaction to the jab which took 8 days to come up. He confirmed it by taking a sample from the lump. The drug company has agreed to pay the cost of his treatment but I'm wondering if anyone else has had this happen to them and how long it took to go down. He is weaned. He has been given topical tensolvet. My big worry is it wont go down. He is my plan for the future, my dream is to keep him entire and would like to take him out as a yearling this year to sport horse classes. But how can I even think about it with this monstrosity on his neck. He is by Renkum Valentino out of a Florestan mare. He is stunning apart from his lump. Has anyobe else had this and how long did the swelling take to go down. What if it doesn't go down? The vet has said he can give him some other treatment if this doesn't work. Please help if you can

Lynne21

Visit site
Recently worked on a yard where a weanling was given the combination flu and tet vaccination and we nearly lost her! She went right off her feed and "flat" and lethargic but luckily came right after a few days. On talking to another breeder, found out that it's not unusual for youngsters to react to the combi and it can also be fatal and we were very lucky!

I expect the lump is a build up of fluid at the sight of injection and will go down on it's own - you could try warm towels on the site in case an abcess is starting and gentle massage should help too (if you can get near it!)

Lynne21

Visit site
Would also highly recommend that, especially as your weanling has had a reaction to the combined drug, you have them done separately, it will be slightly more expensive but better than a dead foal.

conniegirl

Visit site
one of my veterans reacently started reacting to the combined jab. it took about 2 weeks for the swelling to go completely, he now gets his vaccines in the rump and wever so far, crossed fingers, not had a problem with them.