Allergic to Horses

cmarychapman

Visit site
My OH is allergic to horses (medically not financially). Does anyone else have this problem???
frown.gif

serena2005

Visit site
i know quite a few people that are actually.
a little boy at the yard cant touch them at all but hes ok walking through the yard. my sister is allergic to horse so she wears gloves most of the time, its worse some days than others.

i come up in a rash if they touch my face with thie muzzles!

Dogbetty141

Visit site
My boyf is allergic to them and takes allergy tablets before he comes upto the farm. About an hour before should do the trick then he is A ok!! hope that helps.

threeponies

Visit site
My OH is allergic to them, too. If I need him to come with me to help me he has to take antihistamines, but he generally steers clear of the horses.

michb52

Visit site
My OH is allergic to horses and also some breeds of dogs! Its more his breathing that they affect rather than a rash etc. He get's really caught and his chest tightens up. He dosnt suffer from asthma but has had to get a little blue inhaler/reliever. Alergy tablets dont seem to work for him!
frown.gif

filly190

Visit site
I weeze and sneeze and get rashes and blotches. As a child it was terrible, but now as a much older adult, it is much better and when the horses are loosing their coats I use a mask and am careful.

Since my early teens I have only had t.b's for this reason as they have less coat and it has made a huge difference.

When I have done the horses, I change clothes, shower and scub, but still at night I can get itchy eyes, one rub and they are up like a bloon. I just keep optex everywhere and try not to touch my eyes.

When I was little my parents would try and get me to give up because I used to get so ill. There was nothing in the world that could get me to give up the love of my life. Over the years it has got much better and I just live with it. To not suffer and be without horses, I'd rather die!

Kelly1982

Visit site
Yep my OH is allergic to them too, and he is allergic to my cats.

He generally steers clear of them as he dont like horses anyway.

Maesfen

Extremely Old Nag!
photobucket.com
I used to know a point to point rider who was! He could literally only jump on them in the paddock, ride and get off, no other contact at all, certainly not walk into the stableyard even else he'd be coughing fit to burst - shame, he was a great rider and could probably have gone a lot further if he had been able to be more pro-active.

sammys ma

Visit site
I am allergic, and so is my BF. Also suffer from hayfever!

People think I'm mad to have a horse when I am allergic, but i just can't help myself!
It's worse in the summer, and also when they are losing their coat.

I take anti-histamines before i go to the yard, and sometomes they work, sometimes not. I also make sure i keep all my horsey clothes away from home, as otherwise i'd have no allergy escape!!

Always make sure i wash my hands thoroughly and try not to touch my eyes.

GinaB

Visit site
I'm allergic to horses, but I only ride weekly in a lessons and will be starting to hack out a pony at weekends. I don't take anything for my lessons and as long as I wash my hands after and don't touch face etc I'm fine. But when with the pony as I will be grooming her etc I will take one tablet before going.

charlie76

Visit site
My OH is allergic to horses too with the same symptoms as yours.
He went to the doctors and they gave him some really strong tablets- I will try and find out what they are.
He has no problems at all now, if he forgets to take the tablets he is bad again.
Worth a trip to the drs!

_April_

Visit site
Im totally allergic...

I wasn't when a child but when I was about 20 I gave up horses for over a year after mine died of grass sickness.

When I finally got back into it I was really, really allergic, so much so that I developed Asthma because of it!
I persevered though and it has got much better over time. I used to have to use all manner of medications and then be ill all that evening but now I only need to take an anti-histamine before I go.

I would say that getting your system used to the allergen again is the only thing that really works!

merlinsquest

Visit site
Im allergic if i have any time away from them, or could be that i just realise how crap i feel most of the time!!

OH badly allergic, means me stripping off in the utility room and doing the 100m sprint to the shower, otherwise he gets all wimpy and cant move for the rest of the evening!!

Worst of all youngest daughter seriously allergic, even travelling in my car sets her off :-( shame as its the only car i have !! Eye swell up and shut, lungs swell up and shut!! Hospital here we come.

Older daughter, NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO problems, were all so jealous of her...................................... still she has flu at the moment so ha ha!!!

bellgave

Visit site
I am allergic to horses, hay, trees, grass and anything else that grows!! Very handy. I just OD on the strongest antihistamines available, use hayfever eye drops, nose spray etc. I go through an inhaler a month in the summer too!! Dr's advice is to give up horses, oh aren't they so helpful!! To top it off in the last few years I have become allergic to brass/nickel, I now have to paint nail varnish on all my belts and the studs inside jhods/jeans etc so that the metal cant touch my skin!!!!!

tractorgirl

Visit site
Ditto Bellgave, I'm allergic/asthmatic and take dose of Piriton before going to the yard. I always try to groom outside and upwind and with a scarf/mask round my face if they are moulting or very muddy. I also keep the horse on shavings/haylage. When asked if he has COPD - I replied that it's not him who has COPD, it's me!

BroadfordQueen

Visit site
I am allergic to horses and i have hayfever- put the two together and it leaves me in a right state! but if i take allergy tablets every morning im usually ok, just on the really bad days that i suffer! so i also have eye drops which help. its annoying but it kind of fits in with my daily routine now!

VictoriaEDT

www.equinedental.co.uk
I am allergic to neddys too! I wouldnt believe it as I never used to be but it was confirmed by the London Allergy Cinic. What makes it worse is that I have 2 ggs that I look after myself and saliva is the thing im most allergic too, not helpful as I am an EDT! So im drugged up constantly to stop me dying!