Allergy Problems

seamoth

Visit site
My friend has a Mare who is itching really badly her Vets can't find any solutions and I know that a certain Vets have been recommended to people on here who have gone down the normal channels with no success. Could someone tell me the names of these Vets as I can't remember who they are. Thanks

Melandmary

Visit site
I can't help with the vets but has your friend looked at what the horse is eating as it is usually that if no mites/lice. I put my itchy pony on an ems diet and stopped carrots. Ahe hasn't itched this winter. A friend of mine thought her horae had sweetitch and it turned out he was allergic to eating grass ?. Have they tested for allergies?

jhoward

Demon exorcist...
Visit site
I've had a horse with major Allergies (many rows with vets were had about mites lice sweetitch etc) turned out poor horse was allergic to pretty much everything.

My advice...get the horse on a course of steroids this will help massively DONT use rugs etc as being to warm can make the itching worse

Get a good vet to do a skin biopsy a
So you can find out what it's allergic to.

Cost wise....your looking at 250 -1000.

Vets will want to scrape the skin first but the actual biopsy is pretty much a puncture of skin and removing it. So make sure you ask about the possibilities and out comes.

seamoth

Visit site
Thankyou both for your replies this horse has had quite extensive vet treatment allergy tests which she has loads, and has been on steriods but as soon as off them back it comes, she also has a needle phobia which is making testing more difficult. I asked about these vets as when people ask on here some tell them to try ...... as they are good at finding things other vets have missed, just can't remember who they are.

chaps89

Visit site
Is it Tom Beech and/or Rob Jackson you’re thinking of? Often referred to for horses that aren’t quite right/have seen normal vets but can’t get to the bottom of issues etc. I don’t think I’ve ever heard of them being referred to for itching, it’s usually lameness/loss of performance/wonkiness/behavioural but I suppose it never hurts to ask the question.
apologies if that’s not who you’re thinking of!

@ycbm started a thread on here recently about food effects, that might be worth a read? Lots of people put their experience of how their horses had reacted to different feedstuffs

seamoth

Visit site
Yes thankyou Tom Beech is the one I half remembered and I will give her the other name too, she's pretty much exhausted the feed line, so just looking for some other ideas. Thanks again.

jhoward

Demon exorcist...
Visit site
Thankyou both for your replies this horse has had quite extensive vet treatment allergy tests which she has loads, and has been on steriods but as soon as off them back it comes, she also has a needle phobia which is making testing more difficult. I asked about these vets as when people ask on here some tell them to try ...... as they are good at finding things other vets have missed, just can't remember who they are.

I had the same hence going for the skin biopsy,it goes a lot deeper ( a chunk of flesh is taken out ) I've still got the lab report

Poor horse was allergic to pretty much everything grass dust most feed stuffs the lot

He came from a dodgy dealer and had clearly been a good horse once I'd of love yo of known how he'd been kept by previous owners as his itching was terrible, think face to top of rump itching areas raw.