Allergy to midges

wickedwilfred

Visit site
I have a 5 year old black mare, who is unable to cope with flies and midges. At this time of year, a little warm weather brings out the midges and she will disappear into her field shelter. She is rugged, but still manages to kick at her belly to the extent that she eventually breaks the belly straps, so it clearly distresses her. She also makes a big song and dance about being sprayed with repellent, so it’s not easy to deal with. I wondered if putting a garlic supplement in her feed would be effective or if anyone knows of a similar treatment. She is in foal, so I have to be careful what I give her.

ozpoz

Visit site
I found neem oil worked, but you should do a patch test first and check if it is ok for pregnant mares.

be positive

Visit site
Garlic is the worst thing to give her as it will increase the reaction, a fly rug with full belly flap would be better than one with x straps, use a repellent you can put on by hand, a gel can be a better barrier than a spray one, the other option is to stable overnight so she is out of the worst of them during dawn and dusk, or put hay inside so she has the choice to remain in there longer.

Gloi

Too little time, too much to read.
Visit site
Get her a good sweet itch rug that covers the whole belly rather than one with straps and make sure she is in electric fencing so she can't rub. Neem oil is normally good but shouldn't be used around pregnant mares (or people)

tristar

Visit site
i had a horse who went into shock and collapsed on several occasions, i called the vet, however it seemed to happen at the same time in the evening, so i bought her in about 5 ish to avoid the flies of evening time and she was fine, but her reaction was truly scary i thought she was going to die down on the floor out panting sweating and trembling all over.

in this case prevention is really better than cure

wickedwilfred

Visit site
Thank you for helpful advice. She has a fly rug with a flap that covers her belly, but we are still in February, so she needs a waterproof turnout at the moment. We had one warm day when the midges appeared and that was enough to set her off. Just bringing her in during the day and rubbing in Sudacreme to affected area which appears to be her chest as she tries to rub it along the ground.

meleeka

Visit site
A friend had great success with Biteback products. She used the soothing one and Summer nights I think. Her boy is black and went from no mane to not bothered in one summer. Midges are terrible at her yard.