Allowing horses to munch on hacks, a warning!

lhotse

Visit site
Today I rode down a bridleway lined with lots of cow parsley, hogweed, and HEMLOCK!!
I won't let my horse graze from the hedges when she is ridden, but I would hate to think that someone would let their horse pick at the side of such a bridleway and end up with a poisoned horse! The hemlock was easy to spot amongst the other memebers of the carrot family, having smooth stems streaked with purple, but the horse wouldn't know the difference. So, please be aware of what your horse might be munching on as you hack along enjoying the scenery!!

stencilface

High upon a hillside
Visit site
Cow parsley has pretty much gone over now near me, so they'll be no more snacking for mine :)

Tbh, aren't horses good at avoiding bad plants, I always thought they would be?

npage123

Visit site
Thank you for the warning, lhotse!

I'll brush up on my poisonous plants and herbs knowledge thanks to your thread :)

starryeyed

Visit site
Gotta be honest - didn't even know what hemlock was / looked like until this thread! Scarily similar to cow parsley. I don't let mine eat when they're being ridden either but don't think I'll be trusting myself to pick them treats from the hedge just yet! Thanks for the warning x

Oberon

Visit site
I let mine browse for stuff they can't get access to in their fields.
I trust their excellent senses to guide them.
I watch them pick and choose what they eat. They know better than me. If horses blindly ate everything poisonous they would have died out long ago.

Pale Rider

Visit site
I let mine browse for stuff they can't get access to in their fields.
I trust their excellent senses to guide them.
I watch them pick and choose what they eat. They know better than me. If horses blindly ate everything poisonous they would have died out long ago.

^^Agreed^^

lhotse

Visit site
I agree, but I've also seen some greedy ponies that will snatch at anything as they pass!! Was just trying to make people aware that hemlock is in full flower right now.
Sorry......

Ella19

Visit site
They are not all so sensible! I was riding out with another livery last year when her horse,snatched at some overhanging yew tree! Thankfully owner jumped off at lightening speed and removed it from his mouth.

I must be cruel to ky horse ;) I don't let her eat at all on hacks or at shows.

nativepony

Visit site
Goodness I just googled images of it and had no idea how similar it looks to cow parsley, my horse is forever snatching at the hedgerow as we ride past so will be a bit more aware from now on!