Almost about Rugging

Goldenstar

Visit site
So Fatty is out during the day in at night he’s unrugged
He is losing weight ( I am restricting forage ) and that is good .
However he has a bad smell he’s drying to slowly and defiantly has an off smell .
Because he has non sweating syndrome he’s prone to skin infections because he does not cast skin cells as well as an normal horse .He also has a history of being immune suppressed .
I don’t want to bath him but I am going to have too otherwise we are going to be bother .
So the plan is to bath him tomorrow and leave him in all day to dry .
what I can’t decide is should I rug him from now on .
I really don’t like fully coated horses in rugs.

be positive

Visit site
I think I would leave him naked but pop a rug on if it is raining when he goes out, as you have him at home it is easier to chop and change from day to day, the other option would be to partly clip and keep him rugged but he is probably best out naked as much as possible.

Goldenstar

Visit site
I did consider clipping him .
It would be a epic job .
he looks a little down and he will enjoy a pamper in the spa and an after noon in a heated stable .
I worry about him ,and although I do know he’s a horse I don’t like it when the others are full on going out and about and he’s left out .
He loved being the main man .

I would have a Cushings test done, one of ours smelled 'different' while she was symptomatic but before she started on Prascend.

That was a good thought but he was done six weeks ago

NinjaPony

Visit site
Clip and bathe. My pony has bad scurfy skin so he gets a full clip. Means I can hot cloth and treat any problem areas without him catching a chill. He’s much less itchy and more comfortable without his fluff. Makes slightly under rugging for weight loss easier too.

MrsMozart

Just passing through...
Visit site
I too would go with clip and bathe, if he'll stand the clipping.

When we bathed horses in the cold we'd use a towelling rug to dry off (a YHL bargain from years ago), then a lightweight nylon stable rug - the horse would dry and the rug took away the moisture.

chaps89

Visit site
I'd also be inclined to clip, maybe with covercote blades if you got/can get them. I'd still leave naked on the dry fresh days (though keep an eye on him for being warm enough) and only lightly rug otherwise.
As much as it's important to manage their weight, it shouldn't be to the detriment of another aspect of his health, and the skin problems do sound quite unpleasant.
Either way, enjoy the pamper session :)

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
That was a good thought but he was done six weeks ago

Did he have the ACTH test? The same one of ours had 3 ACTH tests that came back 'within normal range'. Then we were so concerned about her symptoms that we had the TRH Stim test done and that came back at 800, when 'normal max' is 100. As he is having problems, I would ask for that to be done now.

Goldenstar

Visit site
Did he have the ACTH test? The same one of ours had 3 ACTH tests that came back 'within normal range'. Then we were so concerned about her symptoms that we had the TRH Stim test done and that came back at 800, when 'normal max' is 100. As he is having problems, I would ask for that to be done now.

I will speak to the vet , actually I speak to the lady who helps me on Sunday as she’s the senior vet nurse at our practice
I did ask the vet about this and he said he felt it was unnecessary as the horse has no symptoms .
what did your mare smell like , Fatty smells like a dog bed that’s got wet and dried too slowly.