Almost at my wits end

Chippers1

Visit site
That's interesting to know, I will keep him on it for a little while and see if he gets worse or better. The wind has dropped today here so there might be a change, it's still raining though!

Chippers1

Visit site
Well today it isn't windy and I would say he was about 90% better bringing in and turning out, still alert but not mega high stressed alert. To ride he was probably 75% better, still looking, flinching and scooting and not fully paying attention but much better than he was. To be fair the horses in the field next to where I was riding were galloping around so that didn't help!
And when I took his head collar off back in the field he didn't run off to the herd, he stood and had a cuddle :)
I'm still going to keep up the magnesium and not feed the ease and excel (although definitely thinking about getting some pink mash as pears don't make good magnesium receptacles 😅) and see how we are in a couple of weeks.

Highflinger

Visit site
How much magnesium are you feeding - I started feeding to my very spooky boy but didn't see any real difference until I increased the dose & he is a totally different horse - calm & chilled. He missed 5 days & reverted back to spooky but became chilled again after 3 days back on higher dose. I know it doesn't work for every spooky horse but the transformation in my boy once he was having a sufficient dossage is staggering .

Ambers Echo

Visit site
A lot on our yard are spooky in this cold, wet, windy weather. Like they get after being clipped in winter. Hope he settles soon.

JFTDWS

Visit site
My usually zen mare was a bit of a pillock today - we ended up arguing and that almost never happens... They've all been a bit silly for the last week tbh. I think it's the weather!

Chippers1

Visit site
He was much better yesterday so I'm hoping it was the weather!
He's having 5g of magnesium as that's what it said on the packet but once I get some better feed I might increase it.

poiuytrewq

Visit site
It may be completely off the mark but when i fed magnesium to my mare it blew her brain. She was on it for 3 weeks and she was awful. Ridiculously spooky, extra hot under saddle, horrible to walk to the field and back again (I have always prided her in her manners when being handled on the ground) She had changed field recently so i swapped her back and she was still the same. Stopped feeding the magnesium and after a week and a bit she was back to her normal self.
Of course every horse is different but it'd worth considering.
I’m glad to read this! I tried a magnesium calmer on my horse and he become horrible, biting me, biting at the walls, chewing the stable, horrible to ride.
I stopped the calmer and he was ok again 🤔

Doublethyme

Visit site
Look up Calm Healthy Horses. Adding Graze-ezy to my mares feed which helps with high potassium in grazing has been a god send. The horse I knew was there came back and I've now been through a whole year with no serious 'defcon' moments. Magnesium etc doesn't touch her and can make her worse.
My lightbulb moment came last year when she had a week or so box rest.....I had a calmer happier horse cooped up 24/7 thadid when out 24/7. Previously I'd been thinking ulcers and other nasties might be causing her random behaviour. Even when not ultra reactive, she was just very easily stressed all the time.
No longer. Yes she's a product of her breeding, very TB lines warmblood but now I have the mare I had as a youngster before moving yards and grazing.

BOWS28

Visit site
I’m glad to read this! I tried a magnesium calmer on my horse and he become horrible, biting me, biting at the walls, chewing the stable, horrible to ride.
I stopped the calmer and he was ok again 🤔

It was a scary difference! Although many other people on the yard feed it and have had no adverse reactions so i thought it was me going crazy haha. Never again will i feed t!!

Chippers1

Visit site
I'm hoping mine will react to it by making him calmer, not worse! Seems to be ok so far but not sure if it's the magnesium or the change in weather :D