Already feeding competition cubes, what to add?

Sauerkraut

Visit site
Hey everyone, hope you all had a lovely Christmas. Most of us have probably eaten far too much over the last few days and easily gained a few pounds, but my cob hasn’t and I like to add something.

He is currently on 5 hours turn out (yard restrictions :( )
- ad lib Hay
- 2 scoops Spillers competition feed, slow energy release cubes
- balancer
- biotin (crappy feet)

He’s ridden 5 times a week, mix of schooling, hacking, jumping (hour to 1 1/2 each)

I started the comp mix in the summer to get more energy and it works fine but it doesn’t put weight on.

With my previous horse I had good results with Bailey No 4 Topline cubes. Could I add this too or will it be too much per feed in volume? Hope my question makes sense 😂 (English isn’t my first language )

I’ll try and upload a picture

windand rain

Visit site
If you want weight without volume something like micronised linseed or omega rice bran would be better than more cubes as they come without all the fillers etc

paddi22

Visit site
Is there a reason you add the balancer too? I thought the spillers comp mix was a full feed, you might save money if you don't need the balancer? I'd be tempted to switch to only feeding the baileys and maybe adding theirt outshine supplement as well for weight gain.

Sauerkraut

Visit site
Yes, actually you are right! I could skip the balancer as I am feeding the right amount of competition feed. I gave him balancer in the summer when I fed less than recommended amount of comp mix. The bag will last longer for my other one then ☺️

I like the „oomph“ the competition feed gives him. That was the reason I started it initially. The baileys I had great results form my TB to put weight on without the fizz so I guess it would work with my sec D the same and doesn’t give him the sparkle.

Shay

Visit site
Its also unusual to feed two complete feeds at once? Both the slow release cubes and the competition mix are complete feeds. Slightly different emphasis but same energy level and base ingredients. If you are feeding both at the recommended amounts you will be feeding double the bulk you need to. And with a balancer as well a lot of your money is simply going to be excreted!

Might be worth giving the Spillers (or another company) advice line a ring and seeing if you can rationalise a bit. I feed competition mix to a cob for the same reason so completely agree there. But with what reads like twice the amount of food your lad should be having I am surprised he isn't putting on weight. Spillers usually come out to yards with weighbridges. It might be worth booking a visit to see what is actually going on?

Sauerkraut

Visit site
Its also unusual to feed two complete feeds at once? Both the slow release cubes and the competition mix are complete feeds. Slightly different emphasis but same energy level and base ingredients. If you are feeding both at the recommended amounts you will be feeding double the bulk you need to. And with a balancer as well a lot of your money is simply going to be excreted!

Might be worth giving the Spillers (or another company) advice line a ring and seeing if you can rationalise a bit. I feed competition mix to a cob for the same reason so completely agree there. But with what reads like twice the amount of food your lad should be having I am surprised he isn't putting on weight. Spillers usually come out to yards with weighbridges. It might be worth booking a visit to see what is actually going on?

I‘m not feeding both complete feeds yet. It was an idea or better said a questions what to do best. The recommended amount of competition mix isn’t putting more weight on but the sparkle is fab. So I might just need to add some more calories somehow. Yes, I checked Spillers number last night and will give them a ring in the new year I think. Great idea.

The balancer is off the feeding list now. Should have stopped it really once I’ve upped the competition mix, silly me. May I ask with which competition mix you are happy with?

be positive

Visit site
You need to add calories for weight gain so micronised linseed would be a good start and can be added to what you already give, if you are happy feeding the mix then why not drop the balancer and give a bit more mix instead, going over the recommended amount will do no harm and would be better than adding a different complete feed to the mix, some alfalfa may also help add calories if more is required as we get into the worst part of the winter.

Shay

Visit site
We use Allen & Page Power & performance - but before that had Bailey's No 9. (We also use Cool & Collected, Calm & Condition and fast fiber - but on different horses!) We only switched from balieys because one of the other horses was barley sensitive and its easier to keep everyone on the same feed type. But we've been on A&P feeds for 7 or 8 years now and I really rate it.

The sparkle competition feed gives cobs is great. Without it coblet is as flat as a pancake. But we also keep him absolutely fit otherwise all those calories without work would cause significant weight gain. BP's suggestion of micronised linseed or a higher calorie chop are both good.

Sauerkraut

Visit site
Yes totally agree with you there Shay. He goes so much better with that sparkle. I’m just glad he isn’t the typical good-doer or I wouldn’t be able to give him comp feed. He is pretty fit, ridden most days.