Alternative to Havens Slobbermash?

dibbin

Visit site
Morning all.

My sister's gelding has been fed on Havens Slobbermash for the last 5/6 years or so. Before putting him onto that we'd struggled to keep weight on him in the winter, but since we started feeding it he's done really well. Unfortunately our only local stockist is no longer selling it as they don't have enough people buying it, and we don't have enough storage space to buy it by the pallet which is the only other way to get hold of it.

We've moved him onto ReadyMash Extra for now, but I don't know if that's going to be enough for him when winter comes back round.

Does anyone have any recommendations for a Slobbermash alternative? He's not a picky eater, just struggles to keep condition when it's cold and miserable.

He's a 14yo 17.2hh ISH in light work. We're in Ayrshire in Scotland, so we'd probably need somewhere local that either keeps stock or can deliver.

Shay

Visit site
There are suppliers - but the prices are crazy. I can't find an ingredients list online - is there one on the back of the pack you could copy? The readout sounds like a basic linseed mash?

WelshD

Visit site
TopSpec linseed mash would be worth a look.

If you wanted a more cereal based option then D&H Winter Mash maybe

A completely different option is Copra, it's coconut based so not all horses will eat it but I've never experienced anything like it for putting on condition

Reactions: TPO

supsup

Visit site
I've found an analysis online, and the SlobberMash has 12MJ/kg energy, and contains just under 40% starch. According to web "It consists of flaked cereals, corn, toasted linseed, wheat bran and dehydrated alfalfa, complete with extra vitamins and minerals." https://www.horsefeed.nl/files/media/havens-slobber-mash-engl.pdf
Most feed companies are moving away from these very high starch feeds towards more fibre and lower sugar/starch levels, so you may have to search around a bit more to find a similar product. The ReadyMash you're using at the moment has only slightly lower energy (11.3MJ/kg) and about half the starch (18%). If you feed it at the same (dry) weight/amount as the SlobberMash previously, you should be providing a very similar level of energy, though with less of the energy coming from starch, and more from oil and protein. I'd probably stick with it for now and see how you get on. If it doesn't seem to keep the weight on as well, I'd start looking for something with a higher starch content, if that worked for you before.

billylula

Visit site
we fed the topspec linseed mash to our ISH when he was looking a bit poor last year. He did brilliantly on it, loved it and most importantly it didn't make him crazy! Would buy again.