Alternative to Pelham

Star1987

New User
Visit site
Hi, just wanted to ask if anyone has their horse in Pelham, and if u were to change it what would it b to?
I've had my Girl for 8 months and she came with a Pelham, however I've had several lessons and some instructors say change it and some say leave it. So I'm In 2 minds. She is very strong jumping and knows her job, but I would like to try her in something else to see how she reacts in flatwork

Thanks, Christine

Emsarr

Visit site
Speak to your instructor(s) and see what they say, that's your best bet. I've seen a lot of horses that are really strong in a pelham being put back into a snaffle and they go so much better, but it does really depend on the horse and rider.

NaeNae87

Visit site
I do flatwork in a full cheek snaffle on one of mine but for jumping he is in a Pelham. He is too strong otherwise as he loves to jump.

Maybe try her in a snaffle somewhere enclosed first, and only do flatwork with her. See how she goes, she may surprise you.

abailey

Visit site
Hi, just wanted to ask if anyone has their horse in Pelham, and if u were to change it what would it b to?
I've had my Girl for 8 months and she came with a Pelham, however I've had several lessons and some instructors say change it and some say leave it. So I'm In 2 minds. She is very strong jumping and knows her job, but I would like to try her in something else to see how she reacts in flatwork

Thanks, Christine

Try a Baucher (dressage legal) and plenty of schooling as many horses will simply get stronger the stronger the bit you use...... x

ArtyLinz

Visit site
A hanging cheek snaffle might be worth a try. It's a snaffle and Dressage legal but you have that bit of poll pressure there which she will be used to if you've used a pelham :)