ALTERNATIVES TO CHAFF WITH FEED BALANCERS

ApacheWarrior1

Visit site
I feed a good balancer to my cob, all year round as he is kept on starvation type paddocks but I hate having to have a huge bag of chaff to lug around, that takes me best part of a year to use, just so I can feed him his balancer - are there any alternatives like hand treats that would be suitable - must be very low sugar - no molasses or biotin....

BeckyFlowers

Visit site
I feed my fattie (also on restricted grazing) Equimins Advanced Complete pellets and he will eat them straight out of my hand. They're a bit thinner than pony nuts I reckon, but about the same length. They are quite strong-smelling, so I don't know if he would have scoffed them from my hand at the beginning (he probably would have!), but he definitely does now he's used to the taste, from having them mixed in a bit of chaff.

Edited to add, just realised they contain biotin so no good for you ☹️

daydreamer

Visit site
I just feed a pellet balancer to my youngster with no chaff etc. I use Equimins advance concentrate complete. I keep the tub in the boot of my car and it is just a small handful each day.

coblets

Visit site
I know companies say you should feed balancer with something else, but I've previously given a small handfuls of the stuff instead of pony nuts without any repercussions.

Griffin

Visit site
Same, they love it. As do the dogs weirdly!

I thought it was just the dogs at my yard :)

A pelleted balancer can be fed in a little trug (I would damp it down though).

Alternatively, if you don't want a huge bag of chaff to carry, what about buying a small back of dried grass that is aimed at rabbits/guinea pigs? More expensive in the long run but easier to carry.

Polos Mum

Visit site
Or ask a friend if you can 'buy / have a scoop of their chaff every couple of months if you only use a tiny bit?

I use pelleted but it has biotin (as above) it's 60ml scoop so tiny amounts as a treat from my pocket.

There aren't that many pellet ones to choose from sadly.

poiuytrewq

Visit site
I thought it was just the dogs at my yard :)

A pelleted balancer can be fed in a little trug (I would damp it down though).

Alternatively, if you don't want a huge bag of chaff to carry, what about buying a small back of dried grass that is aimed at rabbits/guinea pigs? More expensive in the long run but easier to carry.
Evidently not! How strange. All 4 of ours sit watching me make feeds, I have to leave that bit til last or they all dive in.

GrassChop

Visit site
Is it a powdered balancer?
If so, you can get treats like Thunderbrooks Healthy Herbal treats in 4kg bags and soak a couple of those for it to stick to. Simple Systems do Lucie Mints in 5kg bags too that you could do the same with which are both healthy or maybe just a chopped apple!

Roasted Chestnuts

Visit site
Bag of grass nuts or fast fibre pellets. Add a bit of water in the heat of the car the nuts/pellets willSwell in not one then add the balancer.

Put the nuts/pellets in a tub and only give a handful or two. Will last you ages but not as Much to lug about. If it’s a pelleted balancer then add a bit of water and let soak and it will be fine.

I feed the chaff to slow mine down as he’s a complete pig and would choke himself given half a chance ?