Alternatives to haybars??

lucy_108

Visit site
Does anyone have any magic ideas?

I’m wanting to get rid of haynets for my boys but can’t put haybars up at my yard.

I can’t put hay on the floor as they drag it into their beds.

Any ideas?

dreamcometrue

Visit site
When my pony had strangles and needed to eat from the floor I put two shavings bales at right angles in one corner of the stable and put her hay in the square that this made. It worked a treat but she isn’t the type to shift the stable furniture around so probably not a suitable strategy for all horses.

Pippity

Visit site
If they aren't shod and they're pretty sensible, Nibble-eze nets on the floor. My girl was a bit startled the first time she grabbed a mouthful and the net followed but it took her about thirty seconds to get over that. Now, she carries it over to the door so she can munch on it while still being nosy.

Equi

Visit site
Does he have shoes? If not, use a net and secure the top of it with either a cable tie or something of the like and let him at it. I believe you can buy specific "hay pillows" but a simple smaller holed net will be fine just mean more finicky work.

they tend to work out pretty fast to just stand on the net and munch away. Heads down, but they're not moving about so much so less waste into the bed.

Identityincrisis

Visit site
Does he have shoes? If not, use a net and secure the top of it with either a cable tie or something of the like and let him at it. I believe you can buy specific "hay pillows" but a simple smaller holed net will be fine just mean more finicky work.

they tend to work out pretty fast to just stand on the net and munch away. Heads down, but they're not moving about so much so less waste into the bed.

I do something similar, I use small holed nets, tie a knot in the string really tight so feet can't get in the top and untie the 'original knot' so the string hangs loose with no loops..........not sure that makes sense!

Mrs G

Visit site
I have a Parallax Haysaver (plastic box with a slide on plastic grill). Expensive but its definitely been worth it! My horse cribs on nets and I hate wasting hay when he has it loose on the floor. You can get lots of hay in so he gets fed ad lib and there is no waste; he just leaves the very stalky bits and any thistles/twigs in the bottom which I empty out every so often. I bought it to go in the field originally but he has a large stable and it fits in well, its too big and heavy for him to move it around like he did when Id used another big plastic box (which was actually an old cold water tank). I know other people who have the Haygain Forager but I prefer the shape and robustness of the Haysaver (and the haysaver needs no assembly).

Mary3050

Visit site
I have being using xl Flexi buckets from screwfix . There £10 each seems to have stopped his pulling it all in his bed .