Am absolutley fuming! Peoples with kids how would you feel?

lennysmith

Visit site
Maybe I'm overreacting? I dunno.
Just took my 2 kiddies down to see Josie and Denver. They are in the bottom field so have to walk through the main field to get to them.

When we got down, I saw my friend, the kids chatted to her for a bit, then we went to see 'Big n Little'. Had to walk through main field had approx 3/4 horses in it. No probs.

Once we had finished. We walked up, had to come through same field. To find my friend had got the mares in to put her horse out. (cant go out with main group). We have no choice but to walk through this field so off we go. Got half way through friends horse flattens his ear and CHASES my kids all the up the field. I threw things, shouted, scream at him. No he was getting those kids!!! I was soooo scared! So were my poor kids, the eldest only just having got over his huge fear of horses (good old josie and her hugs can turn anyone around).

I eventually make it up through the yard and collect distraught kids. Saw friend she asks why all the noise. I tell her her horse has chased my kids through the field. She then, get this...... says 'erm can you keep it down or he wont be alowed out again!!!!!'

No 'sorry', 'oh are they ok?' Anything like that! How I kept my composure I do not know. Good job i had to focus on the kids! She knew we were down in our field, and knew it was the only way up.

I just shouted a 'oh remind me never to bring the kids down if he's out' remark and left it.

Now I know horses are animals and to be fair he ahs every right to take a disliking to whoever he choses. However it's the attitude of so called best friend that got me. Basically shut up!!!

Oooo rant over, sorry. But, am I right to feeling like this, or am I overreacting?

xxxxxx

PapaFrita

pilar-larcade.com
Not overreacting at all!! I think you should tell EVERYONE within earshot that your kids were chased by that particular horse. Is there any chance hikers could get chased? Because that's a nice fat law-suit waiting to happen!

airedale

Visit site
No - I don't think you are over-reacting.

As a query - how do you get Josie and foalie in and out of their field in an emergency with other horses in the intervening field ?

Should a strip not be electric fenced off to permit you to access your field safely ? If that was doen then you and children and anyone else would be safe from this sort of attack by a large horse

lennysmith

Visit site
luckily no the only idiot that has to go through the field is me. I'm gutted. The kids have asked me to sell Josie as they are frightened now!!! (they dont realise horses can move homes and not all horses are the same).

I'm so upset. This is my best friends horse. She is fab with the kids and adores them (so I thought), just goes to show doesn't it?

lennysmith

Visit site
Thankyou!! You dont know how much your reply made me smile!

I had a big row with YO about this. He said once they're out they're out so no, no strip. I bring them up once a week, (I do check on them 2/3 times a day) but to bring them up I have to wait for field to be cleared.

This is one of the main reasons we are moving. xxx

PapaFrita

pilar-larcade.com
Well, she's being incredibly insensitive and bloody irresponsible too! Since she IS your best friend I think you'll just have to be very, very clear next time you go down with your kids that under NO circumstances is she to turn her horse loose while you're in the field. Any reasonable person would agree to that i think!!

sojeph

Visit site
I'd be livid-kids or not!! It could've been anyone and your friend should've told everyone that he is dodgy in the field. I agree-a strip of electric should help!

lennysmith

Visit site
You'd hope so wouldn't you?

So glad people think I'm not overreacting.

Everyone on the yard (even YO daughter) came running over to see if they were ok. But everyone like a slice of the pie incase there's going to be an arguement at our place!!

Enfys

Visit site
Friend or not you are NOT over-reacting!
Sorry but children come before friendship and I would be making it known to the YO what had happened. What if he had GOT one of your children? Does this again and catches someone? It doesn't bear thinking about. It's dangerous (unpredictable at least) and I'm sorry, but when children are involved, I don't personally think second chances should be allowed or risked.

If that had been a dog chasing a child (anyone) with intent then you would have no hesitation in reporting it. I certainly wouldn't.

Big hugs to you and the children.

Christmas_Kate

Visit site
I would go effing nuts! You have a right for your kids to see your horse without the risk of them being hurt by someone elses horse.
You friend needs to widen her mental capacity to include the safety of others over her horses' wants.

lennysmith

Visit site
Thank Enfys.

It's hard with her being a friend but, no-one puts my kids at risk. Would have been cross if it was me, but am livid it was my kids. Think I'm going to have to speak to YO about it. I know his turnout option is limited, but, thats not my fault is it?

She is also meant to be moving yards with us. So will ahve to take that into account. At least I wont have to walk through his field to get my horses in.

helenandshadow

Visit site
no you're not over-reacting at all, i can't believe she had the cheek to tell you to be quiet
blush.gif

lennysmith

Visit site
Thank guys. Kids are now happily asleep. Have noticed a scratch on little ones face where he sprinted through the bl88dy barbed wire (if it's not getting horses it's my kids).

I;ve stopped shaking now, and doing the lets put myslef through tonnes of guilt thing!

Being a mummy is never easy xx

JessPickle

Visit site
We had and still have a horse like that after kicking a owner who had there horse turned out with it and breaking 2 of his ribs. The horse in question is now turned out alone in the only field with electric fencing. Poor kids not a nice thing to happen and when your smaller horses seem Huge and your friend was very un reasonable not to even say a word to you

allijudd

Visit site
thats a bit silly of the yo.......i would never seperate horses off without giving a seperate entrance...would have saved your poor kids from a horrific experience......

Weezy

Visit site
At my old yard I had to go through two fields to get to my field - because of such I wouldnt ever let the kids come into the fields with me as I never trust other peoples horses - I love handling horse and have no probs doing it but I never trust horses loose in fields after Stan decided to say hello to me by galloping full tilt at me (Sooty can attest to this lol) - I think you are absolutely right to be livid, especially as there was no reason for your friend to put you and your children in such a situation knowing you were down there!

S_N

Visit site
OMG hun - you so don't need this atm!! I haven't read the whole thread, but so far agree with PF about talking it out with her - after all she is your best friend!

((((((((((HUGE HUGGLES)))))))))

piaffe

Visit site
Def not an over reaction. I'd be bloody furious. Your poor kids, i can understand just how scared you were watching that happen i know i'd be in a right old state too.
frown.gif

Agree with PF, everyone should know about it. could be someone else next time...
frown.gif

Vey

Visit site
I would be livid (says mother of five!). But actually you get further when you calm down. Sit friend down, pour her a large coffee and hand her a large doughnut. Then tell her how scared you were, how upset your kids were, and how hard you have worked to make sure your kids did not think horses were scary monsters. Tell her how you thought they were going to die, and lay it on thick. do not spare her feelings one jot, and do not get cross. If you get angry, she has a get-out. If you are calm and sad, and put the danger and the distress into context, you might, just suceed in communicating with her.

Fiona_C

Visit site
Nice so called friend
mad.gif
if she knows your childrens' reactions to horses then she should have had more sense and above all consideration than to put her horse out when she knew you were with Josie and Denver.

I'd be having words with her to next time engage brain before actions. (harsh sorry).
blush.gif

leanne123

Visit site
i think if it was me i would have battered her friend or no friend.
i normally take a least one of my kids with me to feed ,check on horses. its hard enough keeping an eye on kids and your own horses never mind your mates dangerous horse too.
my kids love horses and have one each, for them to not want to ever go near horses again due to having a scare that is totally avoidable would be heart breaking for all of us.
i take it your mate dosn't have kids then as if she did it would never have happened.
hope your kids are coping well with this experince and soon realise that horses arn't so scarey.

lennysmith

Visit site
Thankyou everyone. I sat her down this morning and explained things to her. It's not often I take them down at that time so I'm not asking her to change her whole routine just be careful about when he is out and my kids are down there with me.

She did applologise and ask if they were ok. They've asked to make him and Josie ice lollys today so he's not totally in their bad books.

Thank again for the advice everyone xxxx

Tia

Visit site
Not good is it. Your kids must have been pretty scared. The fenceline sounds like the best plan. Personally I never allow children to walk through the middle of a field - they are told in no uncertain term that they must walk at the edge by the fenceline.

Hope the kids have recovered from their scary ordeal.