Am I alone...? Nutty horse for last 6 weeks!

llohcins123

Visit site
Is it just me or is anyone else's horse just off on another planet at the moment??!! Please tell me I am not alone...its like sitting on a rocket! Any suggestions - he is usually so chilled and I am exhausted!

Madali

Visit site
Mine are bonkers! for the first time ever last week had to retire from not one but two dressage tests.
Yesterday had to ride for two hours to settle one of them.
Roll on Spring

nato

Visit site
Yep, typically backward thinking mare is nutty, shooting off and stopping dead, everything is terrifying her at the moment too!

friesian76

Visit site
Yes my horse is guilty. He has been bit crazy hacking and quite bolshy too! His behaviour is like how he gets when springtime is upon us.

rachk89

Visit site
He has been a little more spirited than usual but I put that down to having moved yards recently and he was getting a lot of high energy food that he no longer needed so cut that out and he is a bit better now.

vmac66

Visit site
Mine is so nutty he saw a horse in the next field and thought it would be fun to bronc me off. He is also super spooky out hacking. Glad it's not just mine.

Dazed'n'confused

Visit site
Definitely not alone - my mare has lost the plot entirely at home (better when out and about) and the companion pony is hysterical!! I got bucked off between Christmas and New Year and it's only a matter of time before it happens again!! No school at home doesn't help tho....
I can honestly say that if someone made me an offer for them I'd have them in the wagon and delivered to their new home within the hour!!!!

Greylegs

Visit site
Mines another one. A normally level headed and sane highland had been a total spook head for a few weeks now. Im putting it down to a bit less turnout than usual and grass which has been growing all winter. He's been working pretty hard all winter and has lost a bit of weight and got much fitter, so that might be a factor too. Tbh, I like my new sparky pony.

Pc2003

Visit site
Yep. Went out for a quick hack yesterday and ended up practically cantering home sideways down the road, foaming white mouth and all!!
Then today has to hack in a straight line for an hour before we had anything that was close to a walk!!!
It was 15 degrees here today so he prob feels spring in the air!!

Procrastination

Visit site
I'm glad it's not just me!
Had to jump off my mare this morning before our hack had barely started as she was trying to spin home and rear because of a bit of plastic. She is normally totally level headed and sane... Walked her about half a mile down the road and then got back on but took me about 15 mins to get her heading in the right direction.
Once we were off she was fine, until we hit the residential part of our route whereby she started calling out to anybody who would listen to her. In my two years of having her she has only neighed about 3 times whilst out hacking, this morning it was constant and at about 9am I don't think I will have been in many people's good books...whoops!

Supertrooper

Visit site
No, you're not alone. I don't ride mine but he's been truly bonkers the rest week or so. Yesterday he was auditioning for the Spanish riding school. He was showing a lovely Capriole.

I feel like I need danger money ATM!!

ROMANY 1959

Visit site
Yes.... I had very fraught lunging session today! Bucks...bunny hops..mini rears!!! And that was first few minutes!
She did settle after 5 min and started listening, we have had limited work time due to weather, but I've cut feed back and she is still looking "good"

Anna*

Visit site
Making me feel better too! Mine has been horrid! Almost bucked me off last weekend. A few of ours at the yard are the same. Whatever it is, I want it to stop!!

rhylis

Visit site
Yes, all of mine have gone out of character loopy! My haflinger is normally fairly sedentary but recently took off ( all be it not very fast!) with my daughter and has taken to charging round the field. I have to lunge the welsh sec a before my step daughter gets on him or she'd be getting straight back off via the ejector seat! The 3 New Forests are unusually jumpy too.
It can't be lack of turnout as they are all out 24/7. I have been putting it down to the grass and the odd weather this winter. Glad its not just my lot!

Pebble101

Visit site
I've stopped riding one of mine. He's now 22 and a happy hacker, although hacking is not so happy for me. He does this every winter and although I can put up with his antics he gets dangerously silly with everything, that includes dogs, walkers, bikes, cars and anything else that we might encounter. He's not frightened but on the way back from a hack he pretends he is! He is getting worse every year.

llohcins123

Visit site
This is making me feel a bit better!! At least I am not alone!! It's like a total transformation from the summer and the blooming thing is so fit. Has anyone found anything to help calm them during this crazy period?

alliwantforchristmas

Visit site
oh, I'm confused ... I thought horses got worse in the spring and maybe autumn when the grass was changing. I didn't realise they could be unpredictable in the winter as well! Saying that, my normally placid boy had a complete character change when out for a walk (in hand) yesterday - firstly he tried to roll with me which is very unlike him as I have only even caught him lying down once since I had him (although he lies down every day, I see the shavings on his tummy) and then, a bit further along (after meeting my neighbour with her two dogs, one barking, and being a super-star) he had a bit of a grunt and bounced away from me. Numpty here didn't have a very good hold of him as he has been like an old labrador on our last few walks out, so he had a good solo canter round the mountain and then went back to the yard (we live on the side of the mountain, so no danger). Anyway, I went back and explained that although it was now nearly dark we would still have to do a walk as he wasn't allowed to run back on his own when he felt like it, and he went out like a lamb bless him, mainly because he was tired, I think! But then I put hay in the barn for everyone, and when I went out for last check, there was lots of hay left and they were all out grazing, so there must be grass coming through because it's the first time this winter I've seen them leave the barn with their piles of hay still left!

Fransurrey

Visit site
The weather was certainly Spring like, yesterday. My mare had a crazy 5 minutes when I got back from a ride on my gelding. So much so she was shaking. I assumed she'd zapped herself on the mains fence but even so, it was quite a homecoming - she normally just wanders along the fence with us!

skint1

Visit site
Mine is a riggy menace! No mare, gelding or wheelbarrow is safe from his... advances :S

lol! What are they like!

My horse knows I am something of a novice and does occasionally like to test me out so this morning we were bimbling along at a rather spikey trot and I could see him looking about trying to find something to spook at so he could canter up a few strides, I think he was after his nemesis (grey Connie mare)

Sprout

www.horse-riding-world.com
Mine, who are out 24/7, are obviously feeling VERY well, judging by their antics in the fields, and thats before the Spring grass kicks in!
I have got to bring 2 back in to work after 3 months off ..... could be interesting!

ljohnsonsj

Visit site
Yes my lovely incredible 4yo entered 2016 as a demon! Totally not listening to anything I ask and broncing and rearing whenever asked to do anything! Last time I rode on Saturday she was lovely again though