Am I being realistic?

Leg_end

Visit site
I've had a real shocking few days as my beloved Buddy has been written off, he will never event or jump again but will hopefully be able to be a dressage diva. I am totally gutted and am struggling to adjust my ambitions in light of this news. I know I should be grateful it isn't worse news (although it's bad enough) but I'm just as gutted that I have to give up on my dreams once again :(

I would love to do just one season and am considering the possibility of loaning something for a year /18 months that I can just go out and compete on. Time is my main preoccupation as I'd planned on getting two seasons in with Buddy before my hubby will start pinning me down for a baby ;)

So, main question is, are there people who want to loan their competition horses to a competent adult for 12-18 months?

KatB

Visit site
Oh my word :( so sorry to hear this, what's happened?

In answer to your loaning question, yes, definitely...there are often capable horses up for loan, its just keeping an eye out...

dixie

Visit site
Very sorry to hear of your news, horses can be very frustrating.

The answer to your question is yes, just look at Horsequest loan section and you will a few for loan. Most of the reasons seem to be because of pregnancy or uni, so horses do become available

BeckyD

Visit site
Gosh that's awful, I'm really gutted for you.

Yes, good horses do come up for loan. There was an absolute cracker of a coloured on here a couple of weeks ago - real sort that you could have a lot of fun of at BE90/BE100. For a year or two loan, whilst owner was studying teaching.

You might as well do it whilst you've got the time and inclination. It'll help to lesson the disappointment (even if only a little) regarding Buddy.

Leg_end

Visit site
Oh my word :( so sorry to hear this, what's happened?

In answer to your loaning question, yes, definitely...there are often capable horses up for loan, its just keeping an eye out...

We've had some shoeing issues that we'd hoped would be fixed by sorting the balance but it would appear it has done some long term damage. I am blaming myself a lot for trusting a professional when I knew something wasn't 100% but there's nothing I can do about it all now and I will have to live with it.

It's not something I'm definitely going to do, but depending on certain factors it could mean I am able to make something good out of this situation.

Escada2004

Visit site
Had a similar experience with my SJ mare, she was fab but at 6 was diagnosed with bone spavin in one hock :( she was jumping newcomers but one week was great the next she just didnt want to go so decided i would rather he not have the pressure and loaned her out to a pure dressage home and well she has done amazing, getting over 70% in nearly all her tests so far and she has only been in her new home just over a month :D

I am lucky as my dad kindly bought me a youngster to produce so im not without a horse but ive been offered a few to ride for people on a loan basis but as much as i would love another, cant aford to keep another :( so keep looking as there are some good horses out there for loan :)