Am I Being Tight Fisted Here?

JAK

Visit site
Last winter (until it got really horrible at night & the oldies had to come in!), SWUO was one of only three in her field, living out 24/7.
We took it in turns to chuck hay at them (a bale a time!) & it took me a while to realise that YO had split the cost between the three of us!
OK, fair enough you say but other two horses are 16hh + & SWUO is........11.2hh!
Greedy though she is, she physically cannot put away as much hay as a 16.2hh horse, can she, so it seems a bit unfair that I'm paying a straight third........doesn't it?
blush.gif

L

lilym

i'm tightfisted to then, because i think you are right!! i went through the same last year when numpties at last yard were giving my old mare's haylage @ £5 a bale to thier 18hh monsterous useless lump "because he like it" !!!! the bale should have lasted the oldie 3 days was gone in one night!!

L

lilym

it was tempting VERY tempting!!!! they copped the right hump when i started to buy my haylage two bales at a time and lock it in a chest freezer!!

Louby

Visit site
I think you right too, we share big bale haylage and its dearer for a larger horse than a small one. Its been like this at all the yards Ive been at except one where it always caused arguments and quite rightly too. My horse is big and I should pay more than the ponies.
Could you not mention it to the YO?

JAK

Visit site
I'm going to definitely say something this year, as although a 'piggie', SWUO is not a great 'hay fan' & picks her way disinterestedly through a measly 2-3lbs of it overnight, so I doubt she'd be wolfing down 15lbs of the stuff when out in the field!
laugh.gif

Nari

Visit site
If you're sure she's not eating a third then I'd say something to the YO.

Big horses don't always eat more though. My 13.3 would cheerfully eat half a bale of hay a night & still manage to eat any clean new straw in his bed & when he was in a field fed ad lib hay he'd just stand at the feeder & eat all day! Of the two I've got at the moment the 13.3 2yo sec D eats far more hay than the 16.2 ID - if I tie the ID's net where the sec D can't reach it he only eats about half but if it's within reach then it's all gone by morning because the pony gets his nose through the bars & steals it
smile.gif

Pidge

Visit site
absolutely not! Pidge eats a lot more hay than Sunny in the field so I just make sure I put out more than Chris, usually 2/3rds mine, 1/3 Chris's. It's not fair otherwise as Chris is paying for my horse to eat hay and over the winter it does add up to a lot when you work it out!