Am I being too sensitive?

Irishcobs

Visit site
After reading a post about this I'd thought I'll ask your opinions. My dad wants to start riding Hattie. He weighs about 16stone. I don't doubt that Hattie can carry him, but he is not a good rider, hasn't ridden for years and I don't want any damage to her back etc. I'm not talking about him riding her for hours, about 15mins to start with, but I want to put her in foal make year and I just don't want to that can be prevented happening to her.
Am I being too sensitive?

This is Hattie (not a great comf pic)
1.jpg

Tia

Visit site
How old is she? How tall is she? How fit is she? These are all the questions you need to ask yourself.

If Hattie is in good physical fitness, is about 15hh at least and is older than 6 or 7 then I wouldn't have a problem with a 16 stone person riding her if she was mine.

Irishcobs

Visit site
15.3hh, 11 years old, fairly fit.

So you don't think it will effect her at all, I'm so worried about her hurting her back or something, she is quite long in the back for a cob.

airedale

Visit site
yep - I agree

if your horse isn't young - i.e. is over 6 and hers bones and frame are mature and she has no physical problems you know of and is sensible

and your dad is prepared to start at the beginning and work upwards - i.e. start at walk and is prepared to listen to your instructions - then no problem

mares can work until 3 months before foaling so long as they are kept in regular work throughout (racehorses can race on flat until October when in foal) so it shouldn't hurt any foal

you should use something like a polypad or a gel pad or a riser pad to give extra protection whilst your dad learns trotting - but other than that he won't harm her at all

Irishcobs

Visit site
Only lameness thing she's had is she had a right hind splint bone removed as it fractured and she goes lame doing constant circles, thats why the riding school sold her, but she's never been lame with me.

Irishcobs

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
She'll be fine
smile.gif

Can I have her please?

I'll swap for 16hh T/B.....

[/ QUOTE ]

Tempting but I'll pass. You don't want her grotty backside!

Tia

Visit site
I would say that she will be absolutely fine. She looks in fabulous condition, she was bred to be a weight-carrier and so long as she has no weaknesses in her conformation then I for one would certainly not be the slightest bit concerned about a 16 stone 'Dad' being on her.

Hope he has a great time.
cool.gif

Ferdinase514

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]

Tempting but I'll pass. You don't want her grotty backside!

[/ QUOTE ]

You're not tempted by the face pulling, nipping, weaving, mud monster then? Hmmm can't think why?!

Oh, to have a cob again. Loved my little one

Nailed

Visit site
your being soft.. she will hunt with 16 stone on her all day.. Go for it.. it will do you dad good too. I was 16 stoen a year back and i was competign a 15hh welsh cob who was a damn site finer than this little beauty!
Lou x

YorksG

Over the hill and far awa
Visit site
The only problem I can see is that you and your dad will end up fighting about who gets to ride when! I can feel another horse joining your family within the year! Good luck to you both.