Am I being unreasonable?

_jetset_

Visit site
I am currently doing two of my friend's horses while she is away, so am splitting my time between her yard and mine.

Hannah is absolutely fine being left out on her own... never ever had a problem and everyone on the yard knows they can leave her out on her own and that I prefer this.

Anyway, I turned up at the yard at 6.30pm last night to find Hannah had been put in her stable (which is on the bottom yard so not near anyone else) and left with her rug on and her feet full of mud!

I was ABSOLUTELY FUMING because I have repeatedly asked people to leave her out rather than bring her in. She's prone to colic, so I always make sure she has some haylage to ensure she can always eat, but I hadn't put a net in last night because I intended to do it when I went back. God knows how long she was in without anything to eat!

She was sweating in her rug because he stable is stone so keeps it cool and warm at the same time... and he feet were packed with mud which then ended up in my shavings and in my bed!

Am I unreasonable being mad at the person who brought her in? She's a 14 year old girl who is quite small and I know if Hannah set off, which she can do, then there is no way she would be able to keep hold of her. That is why I have been so strict about people leaving her out... there's a bloody road at the top of the drive and I just dread to think what would happen if she spooked and ended up on there!

Rebecca

P.S. i think this is my first real rant on here in two years... it feels quite theraputic!

PapaFrita

pilar-larcade.com
Splendid rant!
smile.gif
You're not being unreasonable if this girl knew your preferences. If she didn't and was just trying to help, then you could be a bit irked that she didn't do a tidier job of it (at least picking her feet out!) but otherwise will just have to explain to her that you'd rather she didn't try to help out.

GinaB

Visit site
I would be cross purely as you'd ask for her NOT to be brought in. Does the girl have a reason for having brought her in? I think a lot of it must be down to you being worried if Hannah had reacted badly?

_jetset_

Visit site
I quite like ranting... must do it more often!

The girl knows, believe me! She has asked me several times whether it is ok to leave her out, and each time she is told the same thing. To be honest, she is starting to show off a bit up there and have a strong suspicion that this is the reason for bringing Hannah in, which makes me madder!

I don't want a kid bringing my horse in... no matter what! She text me back once I'd bollocked her via text (wouldn't answer phone so think she knew I was pi55ed off) saying Han was messing at the gate. Having spoken to others, she was doing no such thing, which I already knew because she is happy being on her own, in fact she prefers it!

She was plain and simply inter - bloody - fering!

I thought when I moved down to the bottom yard to the foaling box that I would get away from all the bickering, bitching and general ill feeling that has become prevalent up there, but somehow people still feel the need to stick their bloody noses into other people's business. This is not the first horse this girl has brought in because 'she thought' she should! After all, the owner has no imput into the situation!!!

See, I'm off again...

Kelly1982

Visit site
Did this girl know you didn't want her in and just ignored you or was she just trying to help?

She may not know and thought Hannah would be better in rather than on our own.

At our yard we NEVER leave a horse out on its own and i think this is usually the practice for mot yards so maybe she just thought she was doing you a favour
confused.gif

GinaB

Visit site
Well I think you're well within your rights to be cross considering she has been told on more than one occassion that Hannah was to be left out. Why on earth does she feel the need to interfere? After all as you say she could've been unpredictable, maybe played up and naturally you would have been the one at the receiving end if something had gone wrong and the girl got hurt.

henryhorn

www.narramorehorses.blogspot.com
Having been a DIY for years I understand how difficult yards can be, and see why moving to the bottom yard was a better idea.
I would have been livid if someone brought my horse in without asking unless it was pouring with rain or the horse was going potty left on it's own.
I don't think you can really moan about mud on her feet, it could be dangerous picking out a strange horse's feet and not something anyone would normally do, but I do think you have a case for complaining to the YO about this kid.
A polite note to the child saying thank you, but please do not do this again is also ok..
Has she given a reason for doing this, was she trying to be helpful?

EllieBeast

Visit site
no you are not being unreasonable! if it is absolutely clear that she should not be moved, then why on earth did the girl take it unpon herself?
luckily i dont have this problem, Ellie lives out 24/7 - and never stresses when left.
Sarah xXx

_jetset_

Visit site
On our yard it is the same, but everyone, including this girl (she has been on there for three years with me, and got told to leave her out the first time she brought her in three years ago) knows Hannah stays out on her own every time, summer and winter. She's been the last one out for over five weeks now as people bring in about 5pm but I can't get there til 6pm... so she knows.

Believe me, she knew she was not doing me a favour (see my second post on this thread...)

Her and her posse think they own that yard, which they do not, which is one of the reasons I was so pleased that the YO offered for me to move down to the bottom yard early!

Claireg9

Visit site
Well first thoughts were ive helped out and brought in other peoples horses for them before, although i always pick there feet out and change/tack off rugs, and would always make sure they had a small amount of food and water.
However she hasnt made the best job of helping out, i cant imagine why she would do this if she knew you didnt approve as it just takes up time not needed to spend?? But if she did know you have a right to be livid. but i would suggest just having a quiet word incase she forgot and remind her you'd rather her left out for vetinary reasons!

lizzie_liz

Visit site
i would be annoyed if you had previously told her that your horse is to stay out on her own, but wouldn't be annoyed at not picking out her feet.
we have rule at our yard that no horse is to be left out on its own unless the owner will allow horse to be left out on its own and i wouldn't expect people to pick out feet, if the rug was wet or stable was really warm then thats the only time i would expect people to do the rugs.

vicster

Visit site
I don't think you are being unreasonable i just think you need to let this littel girly know that you would prefer it if she just left your horse out as it stresses her out more if she is messed about with
smile.gif

_jetset_

Visit site
Thanks everyone... I have mentioned it to this young girl on more than one occasion, and very recently she annoyed another livery by bringing their horse in with just a lead rope around its neck in a thunder storm when the livery had said he's better out and eating than in and stressing... he was very quiet by the way when he was in the field.

I think if it happens again to me I will confront the mother and daughter together, but unfortunately i sort of know what the reaction will be... There's just no talking to some people!

FMM

www.absolutelymad.co.uk
I would go down the insurance route. If the child let the horse go, then she would be responsible for any accident caused, and your insurance would not be valid as she had not had permission to move the horse.

If you want to be nice, you can say to the mother that you appreciate the thought, but you would like to make it clear that NO ONE is to touch your horse unless either you or the Yard OWner say so, and specifically NO ONE is to bring the horse in unless it is a dire emergency without permission from either you or the YO.

How would she feel if some child popped into her house and took her dog for a walk?

_jetset_

Visit site
Thanks FMM... that's perfect!

I just feel so cross that someone thinks they can go against my wishes when it comes to something I own. If she had injured herself or looked colicky then of course I would want someone to bring her in, but if it was me I would also ring the owner to explain what had happened.

There have been times when I have brought another horse in because it was flying around and could cause damage to itself, but I always ring the owner to double check it is ok. After all, they are not my property.

bhpride

Visit site
*sigh* A 'know it all' teenager with an attitude problem - nightmare, rather you than me. If she dos it again you're going to have trouble!

Don't know what to suggest but you have every right to be annoyed, best bet would be to speak to the yard owner at length about this...hopefully a word from the yo will give this girl the message.

_jetset_

Visit site
I am sure I was quite a pleasant 14 year old... I was going out in Manchester at 15 so have always been quite a mature young lady! That seems so long ago, and I'm only 23 now!