Am I being unreasonable?

Asha

Visit site
Be honest guys !

So , we have lovely neighbours, they’ve been next door for a couple of years now and been no bother . Genuinely nice people . Before they moved in the fencing was falling down and previous opener wouldn’t replace , so we replaced it with good quality 4 strand post and rail, which matches the rest of our paddocks . A previous set of tenants put an extra row of fencing in , that ran parallel to ours , but in between it got over run with weeds . So new neighbours have removed it . They originally said they would put hedging in, but have decided it will takentoo long to grow. They have 2 lovely little dogs , and want to fill in our fencing, so they don’t escape. I get it . They’ve suggested using there left over posts from the old fence so the dogs can’t fit through, Ive said no way as reckon it will look ridiculous.
I’ve earmarked this paddock for a couple of broodmares and hopefully foals next year , so really don’t want wire mesh on it either .

Am I being unreasonable, we spent a fair bit on that fencing and as it is it’s perfect for the broodmare and any foalies that come along . I’m worried about little legs getting stuck

Reactions: J&S

eggs

Visit site
I have used the mesh stock fencing that is specifically designed for horses (smaller holes at the bottom getting larger near the stop) and not had any problems with the foals and youngsters. If the fence belongs to you you might try asking them to put a dog proof fence up a foot or so outside your fence.

I wouldn't be happy with having the left over posts put in as it will likely look a mess. Chestnut paling could be an option for them to consider.

ihatework

Visit site
With foals and P&R there is a real possibility they lie down and roll under the fence, I’ve seen this happen more than once. So it really would be advisable to have a lower P&R rail added anyway.

How big are their dogs? Presumably they would squeeze through P&R. Stud mesh is good if you can convince them to pay

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
Who owns the fence?

We have chicken netting stapled to the post and rail fence on our road boundary to keep the JRT in. I don’t think it’s an eyesore, but we don’t have youngstock to worry about.

2B1EB9CD-AC76-4759-9800-74B629441A2F.jpeg

Maybe netting added now but with a hedge planted behind it, which will grow and disguise it in a few years?

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
Did you fence on your boundary or theirs? This can muddy things if you replaced the boundary fence that belonged to their property, as they 'could' remove it, or add to it.
Hoping it's not the case tho, and if it is your boundary then they need to fence their animals in safely.

honetpot

Visit site
I think its your fence, they removed their fence which they can do what ever they like with. I would suggest they put their own fence in but be careful what you wish for, do you want six foot high closed board or a chain link?

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
Why don't they construct their own fence on their side of the boundary?

We are surrounded by houses and gardens, our post an rail is a foot or so in from their boundaries as much as anything to keep the horses from eating random garden plants I'd rather they wouldn't! Yes the gap does need strimming in summer which is a bit if a pita but doable.

Asha

Visit site
With foals and P&R there is a real possibility they lie down and roll under the fence, I’ve seen this happen more than once. So it really would be advisable to have a lower P&R rail added anyway.

How big are their dogs? Presumably they would squeeze through P&R. Stud mesh is good if you can convince them to pay

We have the fourth rail right by the bottom . They have king Charles spaniels ( very cute ) . Didn’t know about stud mesh , will google that . Thanks

Attachments

• E23A3C65-EFB9-412D-A887-C2939D1C7618.jpeg
    E23A3C65-EFB9-412D-A887-C2939D1C7618.jpeg
    215.6 KB · Views: 91

Asha

Visit site
We own the fence , it’s on our boundary . They owned the original fence , but it was falling down and they wouldn’t replace it . So they agreed we could take it down and replace on our boundary with a new one .

The other fence that the previous tenants put in is post and rail with wire netting on it , it’s about a meter away from our fence , and the gap in between has been full of weeds. Hubby and I have been maintaining it , but I think it’s caused a bit of a row between the neighbours, as her hubby just isn’t interested in cutting his grass . She’s always thanking my hubby for keeping strimming/ weed killing .

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
Asha, look at Tornado fencing, it's not cheap but v good even for tiny hooves as v close at the bottom. Comes in at least 2 heights, I have 5 ft and a rail above so its 6ft in total all along 2 of the 4 boundaries. (But I do have to put a low strand of tape as 1 of the minis loves scrubbing on it at coat change time, she looks ecstatic lol, I prevent this tho with nasty electric)

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
We have put in a double row of fencing between us and our neighbours. They are lovely folk, but elderly, and the existing boundary fence was knackered.

We paid to put a line of sheep netting up on our common boundary, then planted a hawthorn hedge inside it and then put up our own horse proof fencing inside of that. The hedge is now about 10 years old, and we trim it to 6’ tall. This pic was taken in March, it’s a lot beefier looking now. It keeps their sheep and our horses well separated. The post and rail fence is spaced about 6 feet away the sheep netting fence.

CA86DEEB-37B9-4FAA-B793-892CFD1B7A11.jpeg

A7875893-C647-4E6A-9A18-CC955F2FFF9C.jpeg
ETA there is also electric rabbit netting in between the fences, to keep the fecking rabbits out.

Asha

Visit site
We have put in a double row of fencing between us and our neighbours. They are lovely folk, but elderly, and the existing boundary fence was knackered.

We paid to put a line of sheep netting up on our common boundary, then planted a hawthorn hedge inside it and then put up our own horse proof fencing inside of that. The hedge is now about 10 years old, and we trim it to 6’ tall. This pic was taken in March, it’s a lot beefier looking now. It keeps their sheep and our horses well separated. The post and rail fence is spaced about 6 feet away the sheep netting fence.

View attachment 34473

View attachment 34474
ETA there is also electric rabbit netting in between the fences, to keep the fecking rabbits out.

That looks perfect. Thanks TP , will show it to the neighbours x

twiggy2

Visit site
I am a little confused.
Is the post and rail fence on the boundary line between the two plots?
If it is is that boundary line your neighbours responsibility to fence?
Or did you put a fence up on your land?

Asha

Visit site
I am a little confused.
Is the post and rail fence on the boundary line between the two plots?
If it is is that boundary line your neighbours responsibility to fence?
Or did you put a fence up on your land?

It’s our fence , on our boundary . Neighbours have taken theirs down, and want to make changes to ours

Lois Lame

Visit site
Be honest guys !

So , we have lovely neighbours, they’ve been next door for a couple of years now and been no bother . Genuinely nice people . Before they moved in the fencing was falling down and previous opener wouldn’t replace , so we replaced it with good quality 4 strand post and rail, which matches the rest of our paddocks . A previous set of tenants put an extra row of fencing in , that ran parallel to ours , but in between it got over run with weeds . So new neighbours have removed it . They originally said they would put hedging in, but have decided it will takentoo long to grow. They have 2 lovely little dogs , and want to fill in our fencing, so they don’t escape. I get it . They’ve suggested using there left over posts from the old fence so the dogs can’t fit through, Ive said no way as reckon it will look ridiculous.
I’ve earmarked this paddock for a couple of broodmares and hopefully foals next year , so really don’t want wire mesh on it either .

Am I being unreasonable, we spent a fair bit on that fencing and as it is it’s perfect for the broodmare and any foalies that come along . I’m worried about little legs getting stuck

IMO, you are not being unreasonable. It is your fence; you paid and organised for it yourselves and if it were my fence, I would not be wanting someone fiddling about with it.

I really feel that your neighbours should reconsider their hedge idea. All too often, people think, "It will take too long to grow..." but time passes, we get older, trees and things grow almost without us realising it until one day we realise, "Hmm, that shrub there is now a decent height. When did that happen?"

Lois Lame

Visit site
We have the fourth rail right by the bottom . They have king Charles spaniels ( very cute ) . Didn’t know about stud mesh , will google that . Thanks

I wonder what others think. To me, this does not look safe. Perhaps some strong, small-holed 'netting' (small enough to prevent entry from a foals hooves) could be installed.

I think it would be an idea to discuss this with your neighbours. Figure out what you want first, though, and suggest that. Maybe they would be happy to go (at least) halves with you for the wire portion.

Lois Lame

Visit site
We own the fence , it’s on our boundary . They owned the original fence , but it was falling down and they wouldn’t replace it . So they agreed we could take it down and replace on our boundary with a new one .

The other fence that the previous tenants put in is post and rail with wire netting on it , it’s about a meter away from our fence , and the gap in between has been full of weeds. Hubby and I have been maintaining it , but I think it’s caused a bit of a row between the neighbours, as her hubby just isn’t interested in cutting his grass . She’s always thanking my hubby for keeping strimming/ weed killing .

(Me again!) It seems a shame and a waste to have this unused portion which needs maintaining. Adding some safe structure to your existing fence would do away with this no-man's land.

The Trooper

Visit site
I haven't read the rest of the replies, but no you aren't being unreasonable. Your land is safe, contained and fit for purpose. I assume you own the land the fence is on and also own the fence?

If so, it's their problem to resolve, if they cannot contain their dogs the will have to put another fence up on their side to contain their animal.

Hit the land between with a strimmer once every few weeks to keep it relatively tidy?

Asha

Visit site
They dont get to change your fence, I’m actually really surprised they’ve asked.
I think its because they have done a lot of work on the house and gone over budget, so shes looking for ways to do things a bit cheaper. Which I understand, but not when it affects my lot

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
Our section of 'no man's land' is actually ours, though frankly I think most of our neighbours were relieved that we installed proper fencing after previous years of escapee sheep, then eventually cows and that the field hasn't been replaced by housing. We have over 50s park homes down one side and most of them actually trim their own sections before we get to it and it doesn't need anything doing in winter or when we are growing hay.
In your case the no man's land part would be theirs anyway so not your concern.

Velcrobum

Visit site
As others have said it is their responsibility to fence/contain their animals. It is your fence and they should not be asking you to make changes because they have gone over budget - that is their problem and their's alone!!